Bounce Height: Light vs Heavy Ball

• Thread starter TheExibo
  • Start date
In summary, dropping a ball onto the ground will result in an impulse on the ball due to the change in momentum. If a light and heavy ball are dropped at the same height, they will both rise back up to the same height, but this can also depend on the materials used. The mass of the ball can also affect how high it bounces back up due to potential deformation. Additionally, a Super Ball has the unique ability to reverse its spin direction on each bounce, making it a fun toy to play with.
TheExibo
Reading through my textbook, I came across a statement saying that dropping a ball onto the ground will result in the ground producing an impulse on the ball. Since impulse is the change in momentum, I figured that the momentum of the ball after the collision once it reaches the drop height is the same as before the drop. Would it be true that if you drop a light ball and a heavy ball at the same height, they would rise back up from the bounce to the exact same height?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be true that if you drop a light ball and a heavy ball at the same height, they would rise back up from the bounce to the exact same height?
Try it and see - drop a ball and see if it bounces back to the same height it started from.
Try two different balls - do they bounce back to the same height as each other if they are dropped from the same height onto the same surface?

I wouldn't say its a light ball vs a heavy ball but rather a soft ball vs a hard ball. I think a golf ball will bounce higher than a rubber ball. Some of the impact is absorbed by the rubber and converted to heat meaning the ball won't bounce as high.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_ball

jedishrfu said:
I wouldn't say its a light ball vs a heavy ball but rather a soft ball vs a hard ball. I think a golf ball will bounce higher than a rubber ball. Some of the impact is absorbed by the rubber and converted to heat meaning the ball won't bounce as high.

Assuming they were made out of the same material, does the mass affect how high it bounces back up?

TheExibo said:
Assuming they were made out of the same material, does the mass affect how high it bounces back up?
Yes, but for a practical rather than principled reason.

The more massive the ball, the more likely the impact will exceed its strength. It will deform (if not shatter). This means that you no longer have an elastic collision. Some energy will be lost in deforming the ball (and - for that matter- the ground).

jedishrfu said:

"A Super Ball is observed to reverse the direction of spin on each bounce"

Interesting, I've played with them many times as kid, but haven't observed this effect.

zoki85 said:
"A Super Ball is observed to reverse the direction of spin on each bounce"

Interesting, I've played with them many times as kid, but haven't observed this effect.
Oh totally. One of the fun things you can do is throw it forward with a huge backspin. It will hit the floor six feet in front of you and counter-intuitively come straight back toward you! It'll bounce again at your feet and take off forward again, arcing back and forth with each bounce.

You can pretend you're bouncing it to someone, and they get ready to catch it, but instead it comes straight back to you like paddle ball.

Related to Bounce Height: Light vs Heavy Ball

1. How does the weight of a ball affect its bounce height?

The weight of a ball affects its bounce height because heavier balls have more mass and therefore more potential energy, resulting in higher bounce heights compared to lighter balls. This is due to the fact that when a ball is dropped, the force of gravity pulls it towards the ground, but the ball's potential energy from its mass allows it to resist this force and bounce back up.

2. Why do light balls bounce lower than heavy balls?

Light balls bounce lower than heavy balls because they have less mass and therefore less potential energy. This means that when a light ball is dropped, it is not able to resist the force of gravity as effectively as a heavy ball, resulting in a lower bounce height.

3. Is the material of a ball a factor in its bounce height?

Yes, the material of a ball can also affect its bounce height. Elastic materials, such as rubber, have the ability to deform when a force is applied and then return to their original shape, resulting in a higher bounce height. Non-elastic materials, such as clay, do not have this ability and therefore have lower bounce heights.

4. How does the surface affect the bounce height of a ball?

The surface has a significant impact on the bounce height of a ball. Smooth and hard surfaces, such as concrete, provide a better rebound for the ball compared to soft and rough surfaces, resulting in higher bounce heights. This is because the ball is able to transfer more of its energy into the surface and bounce back up with more force.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the bounce height of a ball?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the bounce height of a ball, such as air pressure, temperature, and air resistance. These factors can alter the ball's flight path and affect its ability to retain its energy, resulting in variations in bounce height. Additionally, the shape and size of the ball can also play a role in its bounce height.