Bouncing ball average acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average acceleration of a golf ball that is released from a height of 1.5m and bounces back to a height of 1.1m on a concrete floor. The given variables are the acceleration due to gravity (g), initial position (x-xo), initial velocity (vo), and time of contact (t). The formula used is t= ((-2(x-xo))/g)^(-1/2) and the resulting time is 0.55s. The conversation then discusses using the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2gh to find the final velocity (vf) when the ball reaches the ground and the initial velocity (vi) when it rebounds
physicsquest

Homework Statement

A golf ball released from a height of 1.5m above a concrete floor bounces back to a height of 1.1m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 6.2 X 10^-4 s, what is the average acceleration of the ball while in contact with the floor?

g= 9.81 m/s^2
x-xo= -1.5
vo= 0
t= 6.2 X 10^-4

Are these variables all correct?

Homework Equations

t= ((-2(x-xo))/g)^(-1/2)
average acceleration= (v2-v1)/(t2-t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

t= ((-2(-1.5m)/(9.81m/s^2))^(1/2)= 0.55s

Do I take initial velocity divided by this time number?
And is final velocity just 1.1 divided by time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the formula
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2gh, find vf when ball reaches the ground and vi when it rebounds from the ground.
Then find the change in the velocity ( be careful about the directions of the velocities). Time of contact is given. Find the average acceleration.

I'm still not sure what vf and vi are though. I tried dividing height by time and I used t= (-2(x-xo)/g)^1/2 to find times, but I'm still not getting the right answer.

physicsquest said:
I'm still not sure what vf and vi are though. I tried dividing height by time and I used t= (-2(x-xo)/g)^1/2 to find times, but I'm still not getting the right answer.
Refer the post " dropping a tennis ball " by demonelite.

FAQ: Bouncing ball average acceleration

1. What is average acceleration for a bouncing ball?

The average acceleration for a bouncing ball is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This can be calculated by dividing the final velocity by the initial velocity and then dividing by the time it took for the ball to bounce.

2. How is average acceleration measured for a bouncing ball?

Average acceleration for a bouncing ball can be measured by using a stopwatch to time the ball's bounces and measuring the height of each bounce. The formula for average acceleration can then be used to calculate the value.

3. Does the height of the bounce affect the average acceleration for a bouncing ball?

Yes, the height of the bounce can affect the average acceleration for a bouncing ball. A higher bounce will result in a longer distance traveled and a larger change in velocity, leading to a higher average acceleration value.

4. Is the average acceleration for a bouncing ball constant?

No, the average acceleration for a bouncing ball is not constant. As the ball bounces, its velocity and acceleration change due to the force of gravity and the ball's elasticity. However, the average acceleration can be calculated by taking the average of all the individual acceleration values during each bounce.

5. How does the surface affect the average acceleration for a bouncing ball?

The surface can affect the average acceleration for a bouncing ball. A softer surface, such as a foam mat, will result in a lower average acceleration due to the decreased force of impact on the ball. A harder surface, like concrete, will result in a higher average acceleration due to the increased force of impact.

Back