Bouncing Half Pendulum Math (Arccos problems)

• Thread starter brandonhil7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary: The final value of h will give you the height at which the ball bounces, and you can use this to calculate the energy loss on each bounce. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of calculating energy loss on a ball bouncing against a wall. The solution involves relating the height to half the time between each bounce and using trigonometry to calculate the potential energy at the maximum point of each swing. However, there is no simple way to get rid of the arccos term in the equation, and it can be solved numerically through iteration. The final value of h will provide the height at which the ball bounces and can be used to calculate the energy loss on each bounce.
brandonhil7
So what I've got is a ball on a string hanging against a wall. When lifted and dropped, it forms a sort of half pendulum motion, but it looses energy very quickly as compared to a full pendulum. I need to calculate energy loss on each bounce, given only the time between each bounce. The solution to me seems to be relating height to half the time between each bounce, and then using height to calculate potential energy at the maximum point in each swing. Its the math that is giving me problems.

v = [itex]\frac{s}{t}[/itex]
s = rθ
∴ v = [itex]\frac{rθ}{t}[/itex]

E = 0.5mv2 = mgh
0.5v2 = gh
v2 = 19.62h
∴ [itex]\frac{r^{2}θ^{2}}{t^{2}}[/itex] = 19.62h

to relate theta to height, a horizontal line can be imagined from the wall to the ball creating a right angled triangle with the hypotenuse being r, the adjacent wall being equal to r-h.

∴ cos(θ)r = r - h
θ = arccos([itex]\frac{r-h}{r}[/itex])

given this:
[itex]\frac{r^{2}(arccos(\frac{r-h}{r}))^{2}}{t^{2}}[/itex] = 19.62h

and if r is then assumed to be 1 m:
[itex]\frac{(arccos(1-h))^{2}}{t^{2}}[/itex] = 19.62h

And this is where I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to get rid of the arccos, and i can't find any identities to help.
[itex](arccos(1-h))^{2}= 19.62ht^{2}[/itex]
what i need to do is solve for H
Please note that i do indeed understand what arccos is, it is the squared that id like to get rid of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no simple way of getting rid of the arccos, but it can be solved numerically by iteration. Start with an initial guess for h, then calculate the corresponding t2 from the equation, and adjust h until the equation is satisfied. This can be done using a computer program or spreadsheet, or you can do it manually with a calculator.

Related to Bouncing Half Pendulum Math (Arccos problems)

1. What is a bouncing half pendulum?

A bouncing half pendulum is a mathematical model that represents the motion of a pendulum that is only allowed to swing back and forth between two points, known as the endpoints. This type of pendulum does not continue to swing indefinitely like a traditional pendulum, but instead, bounces between the two endpoints.

2. How is the motion of a bouncing half pendulum described mathematically?

The motion of a bouncing half pendulum can be described using the arccosine function, which relates the angle of the pendulum to its position. This function allows us to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the pendulum at any given point in its motion.

3. What are some common problems associated with using the arccosine function in analyzing a bouncing half pendulum?

One common problem is that the arccosine function is undefined for certain values, such as when the pendulum reaches its endpoints or when it is at rest. This can lead to difficulties in calculating the velocity and acceleration, and may require the use of other mathematical techniques to overcome.

4. How do you calculate the energy of a bouncing half pendulum using the arccosine function?

The energy of a bouncing half pendulum can be calculated using the arccosine function by taking the derivative of the function with respect to time. This will give us the rate of change of energy, which can then be integrated to find the total energy of the pendulum at any given point in its motion.

5. Can the arccosine function be used to analyze other types of pendulums?

Yes, the arccosine function can be used to analyze other types of pendulums, including traditional pendulums and double pendulums. However, the specific equations and techniques used may vary depending on the type of pendulum and its motion.