Bound States in QFT: Learn Modern Formalism & Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses an interest in the topic of bound states in external fields in QFT, specifically QED. The person is looking for lectures, books, or reviews that provide a modern treatment of this subject and also mentions wanting to learn more about the general formalism and applications in QED. A link to a lecture on bound states in QED and QCD by Paul Hoyer on the arxiv is provided.
Gvido_Anselmi
Hello everybody.
I'm interested in some problems of bound states in external fields in QFT (especially QED).
I wonder are there any lectures/books or reviews which provide modern treatment of this subject?
I would like to learn more about general formalism and applications in QED (I allready know something about from Weinberg and Itzykson&Zyuber).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andron2000 said:
Paul Hoyer has some lecture on bound states in QED, QCD on the arxiv. Here is the link: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.5005v1.pdf
Thank you!

Related to Bound States in QFT: Learn Modern Formalism & Applications

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What are bound states in QFT?

Bound states in QFT refer to systems in which two or more particles are bound together by a strong force, such as the strong nuclear force. These bound states have unique properties and can be described using the formalism of QFT.

3. Why is it important to learn the modern formalism of QFT?

The modern formalism of QFT allows for a more precise and rigorous description of subatomic particles and their interactions. It also allows for the calculation of physical quantities to a higher degree of accuracy, making it an essential tool for theoretical physicists.

4. What are some applications of QFT?

QFT has a wide range of applications in physics, including in particle physics, condensed matter physics, and astrophysics. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.

5. Is knowledge of advanced mathematics required to understand QFT?

Yes, a strong understanding of advanced mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and group theory, is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and calculations involved in QFT. However, there are also introductory resources available for those without a strong mathematical background.