Boundary conditions for heat transfer in the pipe

In summary, the heat equation considers the temperature T changing over time due to a source term S, which depends on the radiation intensity I and the fluid velocity v. The radiative transfer equation describes the radiation intensity I at a certain point and time, with a ray direction ω. The boundary Γ consists of solid walls Γ1, inflow part Γ2, and outflow part Γ3, with the domain Ω being a rectangular channel. For the boundary conditions on T, a constant temperature boundary condition can be used on the left side (assuming the flow direction is from left to right), with a "flow-through" condition on the right side. For the radiative part, the book Heat Conduction by Carslaw and Jaeg
Sobak
Consider the heat equation
dT/dt - aΔT + v⋅∇T = S
where S is a source term dependent of the radiation intensity I and the temperature T. The fluid velocity v is prescribed.

We also consider the radiative transfer equation describing the radiative intensity I(x,ω,t) where ω is the ray direction.

The boundary Γ consists of three parts: solid walls Γ1, inflow part Γ2 and outflow part Γ3. The domain Ω may be, for example, a rectangular channel.

1vBOu.png

What boundary conditions for T should we specify on Γ2 and Γ3? What BCs are the most natural? Please give a reference if possible.

What boundary conditions can be specified for I on these parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume that you have an infinite reservoir of fluid at a certain temperature ## T_L ## entering from the left, you can use a constant temperature boundary condition on that side. The boundary condition for temperature on the right would normally be a "flow-through" boundary condition. If you are solving the problem numerically, and I assume you are, the flow-through condition amounts to setting the temperature at the rightmost nodes equal to those at nodes just to the left. All this is assuming that the flow is always from left to right. In another words, use "upwind weighting" to get the temperatures on the right hand boundary. I have less experience concerning the radiative part, but you might check the book Heat Conduction, by Carslaw and Jaegar, on radiative boundary conditions. The other conditions I have mentioned are common, at least in my field, for this type of problem. But in my field, the pipe would ordinarily be filled with fluid-saturated, fractured rock. :-) Anyway, I don't see why that would change the relevant boundary conditions!

Oh, and one more thing. If you can assume that the pipe is insulated on the sides parallel to the flow, you can set the normal derivative of the temperature to zero on them.

Last edited:

Related to Boundary conditions for heat transfer in the pipe

1. What are boundary conditions for heat transfer in a pipe?

Boundary conditions for heat transfer in a pipe refer to the physical conditions that exist at the surface of the pipe which affect the transfer of heat. These conditions include the temperature, flow rate, and material properties of the fluid inside the pipe, as well as the temperature and properties of the surrounding environment.

2. How do boundary conditions impact heat transfer in a pipe?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the rate of heat transfer in a pipe. The temperature difference between the fluid and the pipe wall, as well as the properties of the fluid, can significantly affect the rate of heat transfer. Changes in these conditions can result in changes in the overall heat transfer rate.

3. What are the different types of boundary conditions for heat transfer in a pipe?

There are three main types of boundary conditions for heat transfer in a pipe: prescribed temperature, prescribed heat flux, and prescribed convection coefficient. Prescribed temperature refers to a fixed temperature at the pipe's surface, while prescribed heat flux refers to a constant amount of heat being transferred through the pipe's surface. Prescribed convection coefficient refers to a constant heat transfer coefficient between the fluid and the pipe's surface.

4. How do you determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a heat transfer problem in a pipe?

The appropriate boundary conditions for a heat transfer problem in a pipe will depend on the specific scenario and the desired outcome. Generally, the boundary conditions should be chosen to accurately represent the physical conditions of the system and achieve the desired rate of heat transfer. This may require experimentation or numerical simulations to determine the most appropriate conditions.

5. Can boundary conditions change during heat transfer in a pipe?

Yes, boundary conditions can change during heat transfer in a pipe. For example, the temperature of the fluid may change as it flows through the pipe, leading to changes in the overall heat transfer rate. Additionally, changes in the surrounding environment, such as a change in ambient temperature, can also impact the boundary conditions and affect the heat transfer process.