Boundary Value Problem and Eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigen values and eigen functions for the problem y'' + λy = 0, with endpoint conditions y(1) + y'(1) = 0, using the equation tan(z) = 1/z. The solution is y = Acos(αx) + Bsin(αx), where B = 0 and α is a positive root of tan(z) = 1/z. The conversation also mentions the abscissas of the points of intersection of the curves y = tan(x) and y = 1/z as the eigen values (α^2_n) and eigen functions (cos(α_nx)), respectively. The conversation concludes by addressing a mistake in the
domesticbark

Homework Statement

[itex] y'' +λy=0 [/itex]

[itex]y(1)+y'(1)=0[/itex]

Show that [itex]y=Acos(αx)+Bsin(αx)[/itex] satisfies the endpoint conditions if and only if B=0 and α is a positive root of the equation [itex]tan(z)=1/z[/itex]. These roots [itex]
(a_{n})^{∞}_{1}[/itex] are the abscissas of the points of intersection of the curves [itex]y=tan(x)[/itex] and [itex]y=1/z[/itex]. Thus the eigen values and eigen functions of this problem are the numbers [itex](α^{2}_{n})^{∞}_{1}[/itex] and the functions [itex] {cos(α_{n}x)}^{∞}_{1}[/itex] respectively.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I already showed B=0, what I'm confused about is the α
part. I got [itex]y(1)+y'(1)=0[/itex] to be [itex]Acos(α)-Asin(α)=0[/itex] which means [itex] tan(α)=1[/itex]. When I graph the functions of z and find their intersection, I don't get the same values of α as I would expect from what I just solve. I'm kind of just guessing at what the question is really even asking me, because I have not idea where a positive root could even come from. The picture provided makes it seem that α should just be the value of z where they intersect, but that does seem to be right either. Can anyone figure out where a positive root could even come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to multiply by "alpha" when deriving y'(1), that's where you're missing the alpha to get your tan(z)=1/z equation

Well I feel silly now. Thanks.

Related to Boundary Value Problem and Eigenvalues

1. What is a Boundary Value Problem?

A Boundary Value Problem (BVP) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation subject to specified boundary conditions. In other words, it is a problem that requires determining the unknown function within a given range of values.

2. What are the different types of Boundary Value Problems?

There are two main types of Boundary Value Problems: Dirichlet BVP and Neumann BVP. In a Dirichlet BVP, the boundary conditions specify the value of the unknown function at the boundaries, while in a Neumann BVP, the boundary conditions specify the derivative of the unknown function at the boundaries.

3. What are Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors are concepts in linear algebra that are used to solve BVPs. Eigenvalues are the constants by which an Eigenvector is scaled when subjected to a linear transformation. Eigenvectors are the non-zero vectors that remain unchanged after a linear transformation is applied.

4. How are Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors related to Boundary Value Problems?

In Boundary Value Problems, the differential equation can be transformed into an Eigenvalue problem, where the unknown function is an Eigenvector and the value of the Eigenvalue is determined by the boundary conditions. Solving for the Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors will give the solution to the BVP.

5. What are some applications of Boundary Value Problems and Eigenvalues in science?

BVPs and Eigenvalues are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and solve problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and image processing, among others.