Boundary Value problem and ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses a perturbation type problem involving a boundary value problem and a first order constant coefficient equation. The solution for the outer boundary condition is given as y_outer(x) = e^{1-x}. The conversation then moves on to finding a suitable rescaling to make the highest derivative important and balance another term, and finding the solutions for the inner boundary condition at x = X = 0. The rescaling is solved and the boundary condition is imposed, resulting in the equation y = Ae^{-X} + B. However, there is some confusion about the matching and the correct solution for the inner boundary condition. The conversation ends with a request for comments and a note that this was mistakenly posted on a different thread.
fionamb83
Hi, I'm not sure if this is on the right thread but here goes. It's a perturbation type problem.

Consider the boundry value problem

$$\epsilon y'' + y' + y = 0$$
Show that if $$\epsilon = 0$$ the first order constant coefficient equation has
the solution
$$y_{outer} (x) = e^{1-x} $$
I have done this fine.
Find a suitable rescaling $$X = x/\delta$$ so that the highest derivative is important and balances another term and find the solutions $y_{inner}(X)$ of
this equation, containing one free parameter, satisfying the boundary
condition at $$x = X = 0$$

So I am at the rescaling part and solved the differential equation (after neglecting the δy part of the full equation)
$$\frac{d^2y}{dX^2} + \frac{dy}{dX} = 0 $$
yielding $$ y = Ae^{-X} + B$$

imposing the boundry condition $$x = X = 0$$

gives $$A = B$$

so is $$y_{inner} = Ae^{-X}$$ ??
I think I covered that the highest derivative is important (Although again I was unsure about the wording)

When I continue on I think I either have this part wrong or the matching is wrong as I am not getting the right answer. I am supposed to be doing intermediate scaling. If anyone has any comments about this that would also be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

P.S. This is posted on a different thread. A mistake on my part. Not sure how to delete it so please could someone tell me!

Physics news on Phys.org
fionamb83 said:
Hi, I'm not sure if this is on the right thread but here goes. It's a perturbation type problem.

Consider the boundry value problem
Why do you call this a "boundary value problem" when there is no boundary condition given?

$$\epsilon y'' + y' + y = 0$$
Show that if $$\epsilon = 0$$ the first order constant coefficient equation has
the solution
$$y_{outer} (x) = e^{1-x} $$
If a condition is that y(0)= e, yes, that would be correct.

I have done this fine.
Find a suitable rescaling $$X = x/\delta$$ so that the highest derivative is important and balances another term and find the solutions $y_{inner}(X)$ of
this equation, containing one free parameter, satisfying the boundary
condition at $$x = X = 0$$

So I am at the rescaling part and solved the differential equation (after neglecting the δy part of the full equation)
$$\frac{d^2y}{dX^2} + \frac{dy}{dX} = 0 $$
yielding $$ y = Ae^{-X} + B$$
Yes, that's good.

imposing the boundry condition $$x = X = 0$$

gives $$A = B$$
? at X= 0, y(0)= A+ B but if you are given no specific value of y there, it gives you nothing. If you are taking y(0)= 0, then you would have A= -B, not A= B.

so is $$y_{inner} = Ae^{-X}$$ ??
Why? If you do have A= B, then it would be y= A(e^{-X}+ 1). If A= -B, it would be y= A(e^{-X}- 1)
Now, as X goes to infinity (x is not infinitesmal) this would give y= -A and you want to match that to y= e^{1- x} which is e at x= 0.

I think I covered that the highest derivative is important (Although again I was unsure about the wording)

When I continue on I think I either have this part wrong or the matching is wrong as I am not getting the right answer. I am supposed to be doing intermediate scaling. If anyone has any comments about this that would also be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

P.S. This is posted on a different thread. A mistake on my part. Not sure how to delete it so please could someone tell me!

FAQ: Boundary Value problem and ODE

What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation subject to certain conditions at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions, known as boundary conditions, can be specified as values of the dependent variable or its derivatives at the boundaries.

What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a dependent variable changes in relation to an independent variable. It involves derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. ODEs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems.

How are boundary value problems and ODEs related?

Boundary value problems are a type of problem that involves solving an ordinary differential equation subject to specified boundary conditions. In other words, they are ODEs with additional constraints at the boundaries of the domain.

What are some common techniques for solving boundary value problems and ODEs?

Some common techniques for solving boundary value problems and ODEs include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and the Runge-Kutta method. Other techniques include Laplace transforms, Fourier series, and perturbation methods.

What are some real-world applications of boundary value problems and ODEs?

Boundary value problems and ODEs are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, chemistry, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems and processes, such as the motion of celestial bodies, population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

Back