Boundary value problem for non-conducting surface

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for solving the boundary value electrostatics problem for conducting and non-conducting surfaces in an electric field. The method of images is a convenient way to solve the problem for conducting surfaces, while Green's theorem is used for non-conducting surfaces. However, there is no definite solution for the latter and numerical calculations are often used. The conversation also mentions the use of the method of moments and suggests looking into Harrington's Moment Method textbook for more information.
gaganaut
I have dealt quite a lot with the boundary value electrostatics problem with a plane or spherical conducting surface in an electric field due to a single electric charge or dipole. This can be conveniently done using the method of images. Method of images simplifies a lot of things. Jackson's book has a lot of material on this.

But I have never come across anything like that for non-conducting surfaces, like a wooden plate in an electric field or so. Green's theorem gives the theory for this, but there appears to be no definite solution for this problem. I need to solve this problem for some research, but have hit a major roadblock.

Is this problem of a non-conducting plane surface in an electric field even solvable using a method of images -like formulation? Can some subtle changes in the conducting plane counterpart be made to achieve this particular solution? Can someone direct me to a book or a paper or class notes etc. that solves this problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well never mind. I found a way to find the effect of a dielectric or non-conductive wall on an electric field. It is slightly more involved than its conductive counterpart. Here is a paper that does this derivation http://iopscience.iop.org/0143-0807/21/6/305

It is sort of the like the method of images.

I would take a look at Harrington's Moment Method textbook. The method of moments can provide numerical solutions for these kinds of problems. There are of course other methods but in general I think your best bet is to do some form of numerical calculation.

Related to Boundary value problem for non-conducting surface

1. What is a boundary value problem for non-conducting surface?

A boundary value problem for non-conducting surface is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain boundary conditions on a surface that does not allow the flow of electric current.

2. Why is it important to solve boundary value problems for non-conducting surfaces?

Solving boundary value problems for non-conducting surfaces is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. These problems help us understand the behavior of non-conducting surfaces and their interaction with electric fields or other external forces.

3. How do you approach solving a boundary value problem for non-conducting surface?

The approach to solving a boundary value problem for non-conducting surface involves setting up the appropriate differential equation based on the physical laws governing the system, applying the boundary conditions, and using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or numerical methods to find a solution.

4. What are some applications of boundary value problems for non-conducting surfaces?

Boundary value problems for non-conducting surfaces have many applications in real-world problems, such as designing insulating materials for electrical devices, predicting the flow of fluids around non-conducting objects, and studying the transfer of heat in non-conducting materials.

5. Can boundary value problems for non-conducting surfaces have multiple solutions?

Yes, boundary value problems for non-conducting surfaces can have multiple solutions. This can occur when the physical system has multiple possible configurations that satisfy the given boundary conditions, or when the mathematical equations have multiple solutions that meet the requirements.