Bouyant force and Water resistance

In summary, a buoyant measuring device of 0.5 kg is projected into a lake with initial velocity of 20 m/s. The device experiences two forces, buoyancy and water resistance, which are equal to 10 Newtons and 1/2|v|, respectively. Using these forces, the time at which the device reaches its maximum depth is found to be approximately 0.7 seconds, and the maximum depth is calculated to be 66.5 meters. The expressions for velocity and position as the device returns to the surface are found to be -20e^t+20 and -20e^t+20t, respectively. However, there may be some errors in these calculations leading to incorrect answers.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

A buoyant measuring device of m = 0.5 kg is projected straight down into a lake at initial velocity v0 = 20 m/s. Two forces act on the device: (1) buoyancy pulls up with a force equal to the weight of the displaced water, in this case 10 Newtons; (2) water resistance resists the motion of the device in the water with force 1/2 |v|, where v is the velocity. (For this question, we'll ignore the force of gravity on the object.)
(a) Find (analytically) the time at which the device reaches its maximum depth.
(b) Find the maximum depth that is reached.
(c) Find expressions for the velocity and position of the device as it returns to the lake's surface.
(d) Estimate the total time for which the device will be under water2. Attempt to solve:
a) m(dv/dt) = Fb+1/2v
dv/dt = 10+0.5v/m
(1/20+v)dv=dt
ln |20+v| = t +C
v = Ce^t-20 [where C=40 after subbing in initial condition]

so then I sub in v=0 to find the time of max depth and get t=0.7s

b) integral (v) = integral (40e^t-20)
x(t) = 40e^t-20t
and sub in the time from (a) to get max depth of 66.5m

c) m(dv/dt) = Fb-1/2v
(1/20-v)dv = dt
v = -Ce^t+20 [sub in v=0 since that would be the velocity when it's back on surface?]
to get: v=-20e^t+20
Now take the integral of it to find distance: x(t) = -20e^t+20t

d) This is where I got stuck. I think something in my previous solutions is incorrect or I just don't think about it right... I just can't get an answer...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi theuniverse,

theuniverse said:

Homework Statement

A buoyant measuring device of m = 0.5 kg is projected straight down into a lake at initial velocity v0 = 20 m/s. Two forces act on the device: (1) buoyancy pulls up with a force equal to the weight of the displaced water, in this case 10 Newtons; (2) water resistance resists the motion of the device in the water with force 1/2 |v|, where v is the velocity. (For this question, we'll ignore the force of gravity on the object.)
(a) Find (analytically) the time at which the device reaches its maximum depth.
(b) Find the maximum depth that is reached.
(c) Find expressions for the velocity and position of the device as it returns to the lake's surface.
(d) Estimate the total time for which the device will be under water

2. Attempt to solve:
a) m(dv/dt) = Fb+1/2v
dv/dt = 10+0.5v/m

You have some sign problems here that are giving you the wrong function for v(t). You have Fb=+10, and so you have picked upwards to be positive.

Now for the second term, you have the resistive force to be +1/2v; the problem is that v is downwards, and so is a negative number; so in your equation, the force of +1/2v is downwards, which is incorrect.

(1/20+v)dv=dt
ln |20+v| = t +C
v = Ce^t-20 [where C=40 after subbing in initial condition]

so then I sub in v=0 to find the time of max depth and get t=0.7s

I think this time might actually be the correct answer, but the function you have for v is incorrect and leads to the wrong answer for part b.

b) integral (v) = integral (40e^t-20)
x(t) = 40e^t-20t
and sub in the time from (a) to get max depth of 66.5m

c) m(dv/dt) = Fb-1/2v
(1/20-v)dv = dt
v = -Ce^t+20 [sub in v=0 since that would be the velocity when it's back on surface?]
to get: v=-20e^t+20
Now take the integral of it to find distance: x(t) = -20e^t+20t

d) This is where I got stuck. I think something in my previous solutions is incorrect or I just don't think about it right... I just can't get an answer...

Thanks!

Related to Bouyant force and Water resistance

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is caused by the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object.

How is buoyant force calculated?

Buoyant force is calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is water resistance?

Water resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as water. It is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid.

What factors affect water resistance?

The factors that affect water resistance include the speed of the object, its shape and size, and the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid. Additionally, the surface roughness and the presence of obstacles in the fluid can also affect water resistance.

How does water resistance affect objects in water?

Water resistance can greatly impact the movement of objects in water. It can slow down the object's velocity and make it more difficult to move through the water. Water resistance can also cause objects to change direction, such as when a boat turns or a fish swims. Understanding water resistance is important for designing efficient water vehicles and structures.