Bouyant Force on submerged hollow object with air trapped inside

In summary, buoyant force is calculated by the weight of the displaced fluid and is not affected by an object's density or whether it is hollow. Adding a rubber skin to a mechanical fish will increase the buoyant force by increasing the volume of water displaced. If the average density of an object is less than the fluid, it will float. When comparing buoyant force and weight, the interior of a ship filled with air is what allows it to float on the surface.
rcummings89
Hello,

I'm reading about buoyant forces, but my book does not mention anything about an object with air (or any gas/fluid whose density is less than that of the fluid the whole object is immersed in). So for simplicity's sake, if you have a sealed, hollow cylinder completely submerged in water with air trapped inside, how do you calculate the buoyant force(s)? I was thinking maybe it was

FB,air = ρairgVair
FB,water = ρwatergVwater

then add them together but that doesn't seem right...

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the buoyant force on an object, all that matters is the weight of the displaced fluid. The object's density or whether it is hollow is irrelevant. (Those things will affect the weight of the object, but not the buoyant force acting on it.)

Doc Al,

This question is also related to a conversation I had with a student doing research involving a mechanical fish in a flow tank. The fish he has (at this point essentially a metal skeleton) is quite heavy for the air-bearings he is using, and he told me he wants to attach a rubber "skin" to so that he can fill the hollow inside with air and increase the buoyant force. From what you say it sounds like he is mistaken to what force he is actually increasing, but intuitively it sounds correct, if he fills the fish with air, it will be "lighter" in reference to its supports.

Now I read that if the density of the object (in this case the air) is less than that of the fluid, it will float, but in this instance what force would that be, and how is it calculated?

When the air bladders are inflated, they are in effect displacing an amount of water equal to the volume of the bladder. The weight of the water displaced is the buoyant force.

rcummings89 said:
From what you say it sounds like he is mistaken to what force he is actually increasing, but intuitively it sounds correct, if he fills the fish with air, it will be "lighter" in reference to its supports.
Sounds to me like adding a rubber skin will increase the volume of water displaced and thus increase the buoyant force.

Now I read that if the density of the object (in this case the air) is less than that of the fluid, it will float, but in this instance what force would that be, and how is it calculated?
You have to compare the buoyant force (due to the displaced water) with the weight of everything contained within the "skin". (But yes, if the average density of the object is less than that of water, it will float.)

Ok, I think I was mixing up my concepts. Thanks a lot guys!

Consider a mirror-image example of a ship: Floating on the surface, it is highly buoyant and floats easily. The exact same ship, filled with water, will sink. Difference? When on the surface, the interior of the ship is "filled" with air.

I suppose you might say that when you punch a hole in the side of a ship and it sinks, you aren't just letting the water in, you are forcing the air out.

FAQ: Bouyant Force on submerged hollow object with air trapped inside

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. This force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid and is responsible for making objects float in water.

2. How is buoyant force affected by the presence of air trapped inside a hollow object?

The presence of air trapped inside a hollow object increases its volume, which in turn increases the amount of fluid it displaces. This results in a greater buoyant force acting on the object.

3. How does the weight of the object affect buoyant force?

The weight of the object affects the amount of fluid it displaces, which in turn affects the buoyant force. A heavier object will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force compared to a lighter object.

4. Can the buoyant force ever be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, in certain cases the buoyant force can be greater than the weight of the object. This is known as positive buoyancy and is what allows objects to float.

5. How does the shape of the object affect buoyant force?

The shape of the object affects the amount of fluid it displaces, which in turn affects the buoyant force. Objects with a larger surface area will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force compared to objects with a smaller surface area.