Box^2 A_μ = J_μ ; [Dirac operator] ψ = 0 or not?

• Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the four vector J_μ is the source of the Electromagnetic potential four vector A_μ. If I wanted a source term for the Dirac equation (not that I think there is such a thing) could it be (must it be) a spinor source term (what ever that means)?
Spinnor
Gold Member
The four vector J_μ is the source of the Electromagnetic potential four vector A_μ. If I wanted a source term for the Dirac equation (not that I think there is such a thing) could it be (must it be) a spinor source term (what ever that means)?

Related question, consider the two Feynman diagrams below. In the first diagram the current is a source of a virtual photon. In the second a photon is destroyed and a electron positron pair is produced. Can I think of the virtual photon as being a source for the Dirac equation?

Diagram from,

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...49&start=12&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:12,i:116

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• feynman diagram.png
    feynman diagram.png
    3 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably a source term would replace zero on the right hand side of the Dirac equation:

[itex](i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu - m)\psi = 0[/itex]

Then yes, for the indices to work out, whatever goes on the RHS must be a Dirac spinor.

The Lagrangian for a Dirac field coupled to the electromagnetic field is

[itex]\bar{\psi}\{i\gamma^\mu(\partial_\mu - ieA_\mu) - m\}\psi[/itex]

If you proceed from this Lagrangian to the "classical equation of motion", whatever that means for a spinor field, you get

[itex]\{i\gamma^\mu(\partial_\mu - ieA_\mu) - m\}\psi = 0[/itex]

or

[itex](i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu - m)\psi = -e\gamma^\mu A_\mu \psi[/itex]

I guess if you like you can think of the RHS as a source term, but this interpretation is maybe not so clean since the "source" of psi depends on psi.

In QFT I think we prefer to speak of generalized "interactions" rather than fields being "sources" for one another. As you are seeing, the same interaction term

[itex]e\bar{\psi}\gamma^\mu A_\mu \psi[/itex]

can do many things. It can let an electron produce a photon, or let an electron absorb a photon, or destroy an electron-positron pair and create a photon, or destroy a photon and create an electron-positron pair, or destroy a photon, electron, and positron, or create a photon, electron, and positron. Lorentz invariance forces us into a theory where all these processes are essentially equivalent and described by the same term in the Lagrangian.

Thanks Duck! So it seems if I take some random Dirac spinor, say (1,0,0,0) and multiply it by δexp(iωt) where δ is some small number and let this source function act on a very small region of space and for a very short time (say one cycle) we can excite the Dirac field? And if ω > m waves will propagate outward? Does the propagator tell us the likely momentum in those outward waves? This is all unphysical but fun to think about?

Thanks again!

Related to Box^2 A_μ = J_μ ; [Dirac operator] ψ = 0 or not?

1. What is the Box^2 A_μ = J_μ equation used for?

The Box^2 A_μ = J_μ equation is used in theoretical physics, specifically in the field of quantum mechanics, to describe the behavior of particles at high energies. It is also known as the wave equation and is used to describe the dynamics of particles with spin.

2. What does the Dirac operator represent?

The Dirac operator is a mathematical operator that acts on spinor fields in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. The Dirac operator is used in the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic particles.

3. What is the significance of the ψ = 0 or not condition in the Dirac equation?

The condition ψ = 0 or not in the Dirac equation represents the state of a particle. If ψ = 0, it means that the particle is in its ground state or lowest energy state. If ψ ≠ 0, it means that the particle is in an excited state with a higher energy level. This condition is important in understanding the energy levels and behavior of particles.

4. How is the Box^2 A_μ = J_μ equation related to the Dirac equation?

The Box^2 A_μ = J_μ equation is a component of the Dirac equation. It represents the behavior of the electromagnetic field, while the Dirac operator represents the behavior of the particles that interact with the electromagnetic field. Together, they describe the dynamics of particles with spin in the presence of an electromagnetic field.

5. What are the physical applications of the Box^2 A_μ = J_μ equation and the Dirac equation?

The Box^2 A_μ = J_μ equation and the Dirac equation have many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies. They are used in fields such as quantum electrodynamics, quantum field theory, and particle physics. They have also been used in the development of technologies such as semiconductors and quantum computing.