Box hung over pulley at an angle?

In summary, a box was hung over a pulley at an angle. The tension in the rope from which the pulley hangs was found to be 45 degrees.
BlueSkyy
Box hung over pulley at an angle??

Homework Statement

A pulley is hung from the ceiling by a rope. A block of mass M is suspended by another rope that passes over the pulley and is attached to the wall (the figure below ). The rope fastened to the wall makes a right angle with the wall. Neglect the masses of the rope and the pulley. Find (a) the tension in the rope from which the pulley hangs and (b) the angle that the rope makes with the ceiling.

https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/GiambattistaMimg/chapter-04/fig-038.gif

Homework Equations

Weight = Mg
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
SOH CAH TOA (for finding the angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the angle, I'm going to guess 45 degrees, just because it seems like it would be correct (it would be a "natural" angle for a system like this to be at.)

As for the tension, i know that the tension in the *rope attached to the box* is the same all the way through (=Mg) and that the tension in the *rope attached to the pulley* must be related to this somehow, probably using SOH CAH TOA to find the angle or the length of the sides of the triangle that is formed...

It's a multiple choice question, the choices being:
https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/GiambattistaMimg/chapter-04/eqn_2002.gif
https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/GiambattistaMimg/chapter-04/eqn_2001.gif
https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/GiambattistaMimg/chapter-04/eqn_2003.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, i figured it out myself...
45 degrees was correct, and i just used TAN 45 to find the lengths of the other sides of the isosceles triangle

BlueSkyy said:
never mind, i figured it out myself...
45 degrees was correct, and i just used TAN 45 to find the lengths of the other sides of the isosceles triangle

You cannot solve a problem in this way. Here you have just assumed that the angle is 45. what is the proof that the angle is 45. There would be some proper method for solving this problem.

There are things you can assume, such as:

The force on the rope at the wall is equal to the tension. You can assume that vertical component of the force on the pulley is equal to the force the weight applies on the rope. I'd look at the pulley as a point with 3 forces acting on it, and solve for the angles and forces that way.

hmm i rather think the equatioon as toa cah soh
haha.
yea blackwyvern is rigth. that is the way to solve the Q
(visit my blog!)

Related to Box hung over pulley at an angle?

1. What is the purpose of a box hung over a pulley at an angle?

A box hung over a pulley at an angle is used to demonstrate the principles of force and motion. It allows for the observation and measurement of how the weight of an object affects its motion.

2. How does the angle of the pulley affect the motion of the box?

The angle of the pulley affects the direction of the force acting on the box. A higher angle will result in a greater horizontal force, while a lower angle will result in a greater vertical force. This will impact the acceleration and velocity of the box.

3. What is the relationship between the weight of the box and the force needed to move it?

The weight of the box is directly proportional to the force needed to move it. This means that as the weight of the box increases, the force needed to move it also increases.

4. How does friction play a role in the motion of the box hung over a pulley at an angle?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can affect the motion of the box. It can cause the box to slow down or even come to a stop if the force of friction is greater than the applied force.

5. Can the box hung over a pulley at an angle ever achieve a state of equilibrium?

Yes, the box can achieve a state of equilibrium when the force of gravity pulling the box down is equal to the force of the pulley pulling the box up. This means that the box will remain at rest or move at a constant velocity.