Boyant force on an immersed body, when system is in free fall?

In summary, in a system that is in free fall, the body's apparent weight becomes zero and therefore the body exerts zero force on the liquid. This means that no buoyant force will act on the body. However, this does not mean that the weight of the body is zero, as seen in the example of astronauts in orbit who are in free fall but still have weight. Free fall refers to when no other force than gravity is acting on the object, and in this case, the object still has a tangential velocity.
Mr Virtual

Homework Statement

This is not a numerical problem.
A body floats in a liquid contained in a beaker. The whole system falls freely under gravity. The upthrust on the body due to liquid is:
1. zero
2. equal to weight of the liquid displaced
3. equal to the weight of the body in air
4. equal to the weight of the immersed portion of the body.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since system is in free fall, the body's apparent weight becomes zero. Since the body is not exerting any force on the liquid, therefore the liquid will not be displaced, and no boyant force will act on the body.

However, I may be wrong, as boyant force depends on density (mass/vol).

Mr V

Physics news on Phys.org
The liquid will certainly be displaced. But there is no buoyant force in free fall (g is zero which is also in the formula). There is no up or down. How would it know which direction to point? You are correct.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Mr Virtual said:
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Just a comment. Your answer is correct, but it is incorrect to say that in free fall, the weight of an object is zero. This is not true.
For example, consider the astronauts floating around in a space shuttle in orbit around teh Earth. Is their weight zero? No! They are in free fall but the weight is not zero.
Saying that the weight is zero would be saying that when an object is in free fall, the force of gravity on it suddenly disappear. This is not the case at all.

(I am talking about the Newtonian view of gravity here. In GR, the interpretation is completely different but that's another story!)

Yeah, you are right. I meant "apparent" weight of body becomes zero, meaning it is exerting zero force on the liquid. This is because both liquid and body are accelerating at the same rate.

Mr V

Mr Virtual said:
Yeah, you are right. I meant "apparent" weight of body becomes zero, meaning it is exerting zero force on the liquid. This is because both liquid and body are accelerating at the same rate.

Mr V

Yes, stated that way I agree 100%.

cheers!

So, thanks again...:smile:

Mr V

Just a comment. Your answer is correct, but it is incorrect to say that in free fall, the weight of an object is zero. This is not true.
For example, consider the astronauts floating around in a space shuttle in orbit around teh Earth. Is their weight zero? No! They are in free fall but the weight is not zero.

I think one needs to realize that astronauts in space are constantly accelerating, i.e. they are in orbit, and have a tangential orbital velocity, which is much greater than the rotational speed of the Earth's surface.

In contrast, one most often relates 'free fall' to an object falling vertically at an acceleration of g and a lateral velocity equal to that of the Earth's surface.

Astronuc said:
I think one needs to realize that astronauts in space are constantly accelerating, i.e. they are in orbit, and have a tangential orbital velocity, which is much greater than the rotational speed of the Earth's surface.

In contrast, one most often relates 'free fall' to an object falling vertically at an acceleration of g and a lateral velocity equal to that of the Earth's surface.

I agree completely that they have a tangential orbital velocity.

I personally never thought that free fall was only used for when the object remains above the same point above the surface of the Earth. So you would say that if the space shuttle would be in geosynchronous orbit, the atsronauts would be in free fall but if the orbit is not geosynchronous, they are not in free fall? So they would have to look out the windows at the surface of the Earth to know if they are in free fall or not?

I always thought that "free fall" just meant that no other force than gravity was acting on the object.

Regards

In "free fall" near the earth, one is falling in the gravity field, but one still has the tangential velocity (speed) approximately equal to the velocity of the Earth's surface. At the equator that speed is 1037.51 mph (1670 km/h). The rotational speed decreases as one travels toward either pole, i.e. to higher latitudes.

One can then compare the centripetal acceleration v2/r to g (9.81 m/s2).

v2/r = (1670000/3600 m/s)2/(6,356,750 m) = 0.034 m/sec2. So centripetal acceleration, 0.034 m/sec2 << 9.81 m/s2.

In contrast, ISS revolves about the Earth at ~ 7700 m/s, at an altitude of ~342 km above Earth's surface. So,

v2/r = (7700 m/s)2/(6,700,000 m) ~ 8.85 m/s2, which should be about acceleration of gravity at 342 km above Earth's surface.

The astronauts are "free falling", but they have tangential velocity that keeps them 'falling' in orbit.

I was also not aware of this limited definition of 'free fall'. Like nrqed, I thought it was the same as 'inertial frame'. So if I fall out of a plane, the plane has to be stationary before it is truly 'free fall'.?

Related to Boyant force on an immersed body, when system is in free fall?

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an immersed object. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the bottom and top of the object.

2. How does buoyant force change when an object is in free fall?

When an object is in free fall, the buoyant force on the object is equal to its weight. This is because the object is accelerating downwards at the same rate as the surrounding fluid, so there is no net force acting on it.

3. How does the shape of an immersed object affect the buoyant force in free fall?

The shape of an object does not affect the buoyant force in free fall. As long as the object is fully immersed in the fluid, the buoyant force will be equal to its weight regardless of its shape.

4. Does the density of an immersed object affect the buoyant force in free fall?

No, the density of an immersed object does not affect the buoyant force in free fall. The buoyant force is only dependent on the volume of the object and the density of the surrounding fluid.

5. How is buoyant force related to the concept of Archimedes' principle?

Buoyant force is directly related to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle explains why objects float in fluids and why objects feel lighter when immersed in a fluid.