Brachistochrone Problem: The Cycloid Solution

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the path of a point on a circle as it rolls down a straight line becomes the fastest distance between the two points in the brachistochrone problem because it makes "the best use" of the gravitational force.
bomba923
Brachistochrone derivation

About the brachistochone---

I have calculated the parametric equation for it...but why is this path a cycloid? It does seem fast...but how did they determine that it was a cycloid...not any other function?--Hmm-why exactly does the path of a point of a circle as it rolls down a straight line become the fastest distance between the two points in the brachistrone problem??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it a cycloid? Because it makes 'the best use' of the gravitational force. At first the path is very steep, so the object acquires a large acceleration, and because teher is no friction involved the object keeps this large velocity till the end of the track. Ofcourse there are other paths with the same characteristics, and I think it is a cycloid because this follows from the formulas.

If there is a connection between the shape being the one of a piont on a horizontally moving wheel, and the brachistochrone I would definitely want to hear more...!

bomba923 said:
About the brachistochone---

I have calculated the parametric equation for it...but why is this path a cycloid? It does seem fast...but how did they determine that it was a cycloid...not any other function?--

Mathematics and only mathematics.It could have been any other curve similar in shape,but it was the equations that led to the solution.

bomba923 said:
Hmm-why exactly does the path of a point of a circle as it rolls down a straight line become the fastest distance between the two points in the brachistrone problem??

There's no connection between the cycloid followed from a point on rolling wheel and the brahistochrone.The point would describe the same cycliod even in the absence of gravity.

For more detail,check out this wonderful site:you have a model of brahistochrone right on the first page
site
It's in french...But it's math.It's comprehendable.

Daniel.

da_willem said:
If there is a connection between the shape being the one of a piont on a horizontally moving wheel, and the brachistochrone I would definitely want to hear more...!

That's was my question in the first place--! Anyways, I'll try to figure it out

Please,do tell us if u find it.It would be a really interesting both mathematically and physically result.

Daniel.

Related to Brachistochrone Problem: The Cycloid Solution

What is "Just an easy question-"?

"Just an easy question-" is a phrase commonly used to indicate that the question being asked is simple and straightforward.

Why do people use the phrase "Just an easy question-"?

People use this phrase to let others know that the question being asked is not complex or difficult, and to encourage them to answer without hesitation.

Is every question that starts with "Just an easy question-" really easy?

No, not necessarily. It is possible for someone to use this phrase sarcastically or as a way to trick others into thinking the question is easy when it is actually more challenging.

Can "Just an easy question-" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, it can be used in a professional setting as a way to quickly and concisely ask a question without causing any confusion or misunderstanding.

Are there any other phrases similar to "Just an easy question-"?

Yes, there are many other phrases that can be used to indicate a simple question, such as "Just a quick question", "Just a simple question", or "Just a straightforward question".