Brake Mean Effective Pressure (Bmep) SI Engine

In summary, there is a question about whether Torque max. can be used in place of Power max. in the bmep equation. However, it is not recommended to blindly substitute torque for power in the equation, as there is a relationship between torque, engine RPM, and power output. There may be a need for stronger knowledge of basics to fully understand this concept.
recreated
Dear all,

Can Torque max. be used instead of Power max. in the bmep equation?-(as shown on attached pic)

The name of the equation seems to suggest it is only for Brake Power but hopefully i am wrong.

Also, when I do a calculation for bmep for max. Brake Power and max. Torque, the bmep at max. Brake Power is about 210 times that for bmep at max. Torque (Shown in attached picture):
Can this be correct?

Thanks for reading

307MED 2011 Q1a i) 001.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just blindly plug in torque in place of power in the equation for BMEP.

Remember, there is a relationship between torque, engine RPM and power output.

Yes I have found that equation as well, thank you. Need stronger knowledge of basics as always

Related to Brake Mean Effective Pressure (Bmep) SI Engine

1. What is Brake Mean Effective Pressure (Bmep) in an SI Engine?

Brake Mean Effective Pressure (Bmep) is a measure of the average pressure exerted by the engine on the piston during the power stroke. It is used to evaluate the performance and efficiency of an internal combustion engine.

2. How is Bmep calculated?

Bmep is calculated by dividing the total work produced by the engine during one cycle by the displacement volume of the engine. This calculation takes into account factors such as engine speed, fuel flow rate, and air-fuel ratio.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Bmep?

Bmep is typically measured in kilopascals (kPa) or bars (bar). One bar is equal to 100 kPa. In some cases, Bmep may also be expressed in pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does Bmep affect engine performance?

Higher Bmep values indicate that the engine is producing more power and is running more efficiently. It is an important measure of engine performance and can be used to compare different engines or to monitor changes in performance over time.

5. How can Bmep be improved?

There are several ways to improve Bmep in an SI engine, such as improving the air-fuel ratio, optimizing ignition timing, and reducing friction in the engine components. Regular maintenance and tuning can also help to maintain and improve Bmep over time.