Brass Wire Wave Speed Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the wave speed in a brass wire with a radius of 3.35×10-4 m and a tension of 120 N. The density of brass is given as 8.60×103 kg/m^3. The relevant equation for this problem is v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}, where \mu is the linear density of the wire. The conversation includes a discussion about finding the linear density and using the cross-sectional area to solve the problem.
K3nt70

Homework Statement

What is the wave speed in a brass wire with a radius of 3.35×10-4 m stretched with a tension of 120 N? The density of brass is 8.60×103 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue about this problem. It gives me regular density but i need linear density in order for the formula to work and i don't know how or if i even can convert reg density to linear. Nor can i find any other relevant equations that would clear it up for me.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi K3nt70.
Try find the cross-sectional area of the string and see if you can see what to do then.

Wicked - got it all worked out. Thanks for the hint!

Its cool, no problem.
:smile:

Related to Brass Wire Wave Speed Calculation

1. What is wave speed in a brass wire?

The wave speed in a brass wire refers to the speed at which a wave travels through the wire. It is determined by the properties of the wire, such as its density and elasticity, and can be affected by factors such as temperature and tension.

2. How is wave speed calculated in a brass wire?

The wave speed in a brass wire can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension in the wire, and μ is the linear density of the wire. This equation is based on Hooke's Law and the relationship between tension, mass per unit length, and wave speed.

3. What factors affect the wave speed in a brass wire?

The wave speed in a brass wire can be affected by factors such as tension, temperature, and the thickness and length of the wire. Changes in these factors can alter the properties of the wire, such as its density and elasticity, and therefore impact the speed at which waves travel through it.

4. How does the thickness of a brass wire affect its wave speed?

The thickness of a brass wire can impact its wave speed by affecting its density and elasticity. Thicker wires tend to have a higher density and lower elasticity, resulting in a slower wave speed compared to thinner wires. However, this relationship may also depend on the tension and length of the wire.

5. Can the wave speed in a brass wire be changed?

Yes, the wave speed in a brass wire can be changed by altering its properties, such as tension, temperature, and thickness. Additionally, different types of brass alloys may have varying wave speeds due to differences in their composition and properties.