Breaking Light: Can You Outrun the Speed of Light?

In summary, my friend tried explaining to me that you can "break" the speed of light. He showed me a youtube video, "minutephysics" saying that if you could point a laser at the moon, by flicking your wrist, the image/spot of the laser on the moon would be moving faster than light. Is he right? No. That is EXACTLY like saying that if you look at one star and then at another star, your gaze has gone faster than the speed of light. Nothing "moves" as the beam is swept across the moon. This is an OLD canard and has to be debunked here about once a month.
Doguso
"Breaking Light"

My friend tried explaining to me that you can "break" the speed of light. He showed me a youtube video, "minutephysics" saying that if you could point a laser at the moon, by flicking your wrist, the image/spot of the laser on the moon would be moving faster than light. Is he right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Doguso said:
My friend tried explaining to me that you can "break" the speed of light. He showed me a youtube video, "minutephysics" saying that if you could point a laser at the moon, by flicking your wrist, the image/spot of the laser on the moon would be moving faster than light. Is he right?

No. That is EXACTLY like saying that if you look at one star and then at another star, your gaze has gone faster than the speed of light. Nothing "moves" as the beam is swept across the moon. This is an OLD canard and has to be debunked here about once a month.

Doguso said:

Special Relativity forbids physical processes that transmit some sort of information from exceeding the speed of light. Pointing a laser at the moon and flicking your wrist does not transfer any physical thing at faster than the speed of light. Different light hits the moon at the different points you point the laser at. The same light would have to move from one edge of the moon to the other for special relativity to be violated, but that is not something you can do since you're constantly sending out a stream of different photons.

Thank you. How you explained the different particles of light is what's moving was a better way than I could to my friend. Least I have good proof of this... I'm semi-surprised that you're asked this so frequently haha. Sorry if I annoyed you guys with such a stupid theory.

This is what happens when you try to fit something you don't know a lot about into a minute and the pixel analogy is ludicrous.

Related to Breaking Light: Can You Outrun the Speed of Light?

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest possible speed in the universe. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, including light itself.

2. Why is it impossible to outrun the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is determined by the laws of physics. It is impossible for any object to achieve a speed faster than the speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy.

3. Is there any way to slow down or accelerate the speed of light?

No, the speed of light is constant and cannot be altered. It travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum and is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

4. Can we travel close to the speed of light?

Yes, it is possible for objects to travel close to the speed of light. In fact, scientists have been able to accelerate particles in particle accelerators to speeds that are a fraction of the speed of light.

5. What would happen if we could outrun the speed of light?

If it were possible to outrun the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics and cause many fundamental principles to break down. It could potentially lead to time travel and other paradoxes that are currently not possible according to our understanding of the universe.