Brian Greene: Hidden Reality Book

In summary: Hey Noel,Thanks for the clarification. I will look into the inflaton further. I think the other word that he might be talking about is the theoriical vacuum fluctuation. Can you please help me find a link to more information on that? Thanks.In summary, Brian Greene mentions an "inflaton" field and theoritical vacuum fluctuation in his book "The Elegant Universe". He is discussing why the CMBR is as uniform as it is and mentions the field and fluctuation as examples.
Lino
I listening to Brian Greene's book! i.e. the audio book. There is something that is mentioned many times, but I don't recognise the word / language, so forgive me if the spelling is very wrong(!). Basically, when explaining the variations on the CMBR, he refers to something like an "implonton" field. The probel about an audio book is that I can't do a quick search and read around the topic, so I'm a bit stuck. Can anyone tell me what the correct word / spelling that he is referencing should be? All help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks Ynaught, but I don't think so (I familliar with the word "infalation" and it is also a word that comes up frequently in the book, so it is not just the way it is pronounced).

The other word (?) is a theoritical particle, with an associated field, that he mentions when explaining why the CMBR is as uniform as it is (variations in the CMBR are as small as they are because of the stablising effect of the field as the initial period of super inflation 'happened' - I may have this summary incorrect as I am basing this on my interputation from one set of comments in one book, hence I am looking to find the "word" in order to do further investigation).

Regards,

Noel.

Hey Noel,

The word is Inflaton, not Inflation - drop the second "i" and pronounce with a soft "a" (I have no clue what "Infalation" is...).

The inflaton is the hypothetical field/particle that may be responsible for inflation.

Google "inflaton" and read some of the links on inflation theory/cosomology... Like this one for example: http://universe-review.ca/R02-13-inflation.htm

Thanks Ynaught. That makes a lot of sense, and you can see why I'm listening to, and not reading, the book - I can't even recognise spilling irrers in my own posting!

Regards,

Noel.

Related to Brian Greene: Hidden Reality Book

1. What is "Brian Greene: Hidden Reality Book" about?

The book "Brian Greene: Hidden Reality" is a non-fiction work written by physicist and author Brian Greene. It explores the concept of multiple universes and the possibility of parallel realities existing alongside our own.

2. What inspired Brian Greene to write "Hidden Reality"?

Brian Greene has been fascinated by the concept of multiple universes and parallel realities for many years. He was inspired to write "Hidden Reality" in order to share his knowledge and research with a wider audience and to spark curiosity and discussion about this complex and intriguing topic.

3. What are some key concepts discussed in "Hidden Reality"?

"Hidden Reality" delves into various theories and scientific concepts related to multiple universes, such as the multiverse theory, string theory, and the anthropic principle. It also explores the potential implications and consequences of these ideas, including the possibility of other forms of life and the nature of reality itself.

4. Is "Hidden Reality" suitable for non-scientists?

While the topic of multiple universes may seem daunting, Brian Greene presents it in a way that is accessible and engaging for non-scientists. He uses clear and relatable examples and avoids technical jargon, making the book a great read for anyone interested in exploring the mysteries of the universe.

5. Has "Hidden Reality" received any recognition or awards?

Yes, "Hidden Reality" has received positive reviews and recognition from various publications, including The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. It was also a finalist for the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books in 2011.