Bromination of Alkene: Trans or Cis?

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alkene
In summary, there is a discrepancy between different sources regarding the structure of the product for the bromination of alkene. Wikipedia states it is trans, while the book claims it is cis. The correct structure may depend on the specific alkene in question.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

for the bromination of alkene, different sources give different structure of product which is trans(from wikipedia) , but the book is cis. which is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

please don't delete my question.. as i really don't know which site should i post. as this is not homework but the notes is from textbook.

Attachments

• yy.png
    yy.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_20140627_122820.jpg
    IMG_20140627_122820.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20140627_122747.jpg
    IMG_20140627_122747.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
desmond iking said:

Homework Statement

for the bromination of alkene, different sources give different structure of product which is trans(from wikipedia) , but the book is cis. which is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

please don't delete my question.. as i really don't know which site should i post. as this is not homework but the notes is from textbook.

Can you share the name of the book? I don't think the book has got it right. The mechanism is correctly presented by wiki.

For 1,2-dibromoethane it doesn't matter, final structure is correct. It is a lousy approach as it leaves an important information out, but I would not say book is incorrect.

FAQ: Bromination of Alkene: Trans or Cis?

1. What is the purpose of brominating an alkene?

The purpose of brominating an alkene is to add a bromine atom to the alkene molecule. This can be used to create new compounds or modify the properties of the original alkene.

2. What is the difference between trans and cis bromination of an alkene?

In trans bromination, the two substituent groups on the alkene are on opposite sides of the double bond, while in cis bromination, they are on the same side. This results in different products being formed with different properties.

3. How does the reaction conditions affect the trans or cis selectivity in bromination of an alkene?

The reaction conditions, such as temperature and solvent, can influence the selectivity of trans or cis bromination. For example, a low temperature and non-polar solvent can favor trans bromination, while a high temperature and polar solvent can favor cis bromination.

4. What is the mechanism of trans and cis bromination of an alkene?

The mechanism of trans and cis bromination involves the formation of a bromonium ion intermediate, which can then be attacked by a bromide ion to form the final product. The difference lies in the orientation of the intermediate and the direction of attack by the bromide ion.

5. How can we control the trans or cis selectivity in bromination of an alkene?

The trans or cis selectivity in bromination can be controlled by carefully choosing the reaction conditions, such as temperature, solvent, and reactant concentration. Additionally, the use of different brominating agents or catalysts can also influence the selectivity of the reaction.