BS E-Physics to a graduate program in EE?

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student majoring in Engineering Physics with a concentration in physics. They have taken one introductory course in Electrical Engineering and are currently enrolled in a circuits course. Their research experience is in high voltage sources and circuitry. The individual is wondering if they will be accepted into a Masters program in Electrical Engineering with their limited background. They have a decent GPA above 3.5 in both overall and math/physics courses. However, it is suggested that they may be unprepared as EE students have limited knowledge of EM and focus more on microelectronics, digital design, signal processing, control theory, and communications. It is recommended that they focus on EM related courses for better preparation. Most graduate schools require lower level coursework
twofu
Hello PF,

I did a quick google and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here it is:
I am an undergrad graduating next year with a bachelors in Engineering Physics. So far my concentration has been in physics. I took one Intro to EE course which I liked, and I am taking a circuits course right now.

Besides those two classes, the rest have been all pure physics. I've done research (still am) under a HEP professor dealing with high voltage sources and other circuit related stuff.

Will Masters programs in Electrical engineering accept someone with that little background? I feel EE shouldn't be that different having taken so much E&M, though in practice everythings different.

My GPA is decent, above 3.5 and same goes for the "math & physics" gpa.

Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If all you know is basic circuit theory then I'd say you're unprepared. EE actually know little EM, generally only taking one semester of it in a lower level course than physicists. The rest of their courses will be microelectronics, digital design, signal processing, control theory, communications, etc.

So if you want study EM related stuff then you should be better off. Most graduate schools I've seen require lower level coursework to be taken before or during their first year if coming in from a different specialty.

FAQ: BS E-Physics to a graduate program in EE?

1. What is the difference between BS E-Physics and EE?

BS E-Physics is a Bachelor's degree in Engineering Physics, which focuses on the fundamental principles of physics and their application in engineering. On the other hand, EE is a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, which focuses on the design, development, and application of electrical systems and devices. While both degrees have a strong foundation in physics, EE has a more specific and practical focus on electrical engineering concepts.

2. How can a BS E-Physics graduate prepare for a graduate program in EE?

BS E-Physics graduates can prepare for a graduate program in EE by taking courses related to electrical engineering, such as circuits, electronics, and electromagnetism. They can also gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects in an EE-related field. Additionally, brushing up on programming skills and software applications commonly used in EE, such as MATLAB or CAD software, can be beneficial.

3. Can a BS E-Physics graduate specialize in a specific area of EE in a graduate program?

Yes, a BS E-Physics graduate can specialize in a specific area of EE in a graduate program. Many graduate programs offer specialized tracks, such as power systems, telecommunications, or microelectronics, which allow students to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular area of EE.

4. Are there any prerequisites for a BS E-Physics graduate to enter a graduate program in EE?

Prerequisites for a BS E-Physics graduate to enter a graduate program in EE may vary depending on the specific program. However, most graduate programs in EE require a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering fundamentals. Some programs may also have specific course requirements, such as circuits or electronics. It is best to check with the individual program for their specific prerequisites.

5. How can a graduate degree in EE benefit a BS E-Physics graduate?

A graduate degree in EE can benefit a BS E-Physics graduate by expanding their knowledge and skills in a specific area of electrical engineering. This can make them more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for higher-level positions or research opportunities. Additionally, a graduate degree can provide a deeper understanding of the practical application of physics principles, making them more well-rounded engineers.