Build a Custom Timer Circuit for Efficient Light Control - Step by Step Guide"

• Thread starter Liad
  • Start date
In summary: Well, assuming you're not doing anything to reduce pin count, you should be doing the analysis on how many pins you'll need for your display:-4 7-segments = 4*7-3 push buttons = 3-Other LEDs = 1-5So, something like 30+ I/O lines.Then you go to your favourite microcontroller manufacturer and START with your I/O pin count, choosing the one which has the peripherals and on-board memory / FLASH / EEPROM you need.If you've never worked with microcontrollers before, most microcontroller manufacturers make a 40-pin part, e.g. ATMEL ATmega32, ATmega644, Microchip
Liad
Hey!

I want to build a circuit to control a light bulb in such a way that Ill be able to choose the time that it'll be on [choosing from 5/10/15/20 min] and off [again, choosing from 5/10/15/20 min].

I would also like to have a counter showing how much time I have till it'll change from on to off or from off to on.

for example, I'll have 4 7-segments display and 2 buttons.
the first button will change the period of time the light will be on and every click will change the time and present it with the 7-segments.
the second button will change the period of time the light will be off and every click will change the time and present it with the other 7-segments.

Ill push the first button till ill see "5" and the other one till Ill see "10", then itll start work for 5 minutes, while showing me how much time left from that 5 min, and afterward will stop working for 10 min, showing the time left before operating again and so on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Liad said:
Hey!

I want to build a circuit to control a light bulb in such a way that Ill be able to choose the time that it'll be on [choosing from 5/10/15/20 min] and off [again, choosing from 5/10/15/20 min].

I would also like to have a counter showing how much time I have till it'll change from on to off or from off to on.

for example, I'll have 4 7-segments display and 2 buttons.
the first button will change the period of time the light will be on and every click will change the time and present it with the 7-segments.
the second button will change the period of time the light will be off and every click will change the time and present it with the other 7-segments.

Ill push the first button till ill see "5" and the other one till Ill see "10", then itll start work for 5 minutes, while showing me how much time left from that 5 min, and afterward will stop working for 10 min, showing the time left before operating again and so on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can do this pretty easily with just a microcontroller (one with enough I/O pins for your 7 segment displays). Or you could go with a few 7-segment display decoder chips if you want a smaller microcontroller / pins for doing something else. You'll need to do a fair bit of programming however.

MATLABdude said:
You can do this pretty easily with just a microcontroller (one with enough I/O pins for your 7 segment displays). Or you could go with a few 7-segment display decoder chips if you want a smaller microcontroller / pins for doing something else. You'll need to do a fair bit of programming however.

Which microcontroller has enough pins for all of my demands?
Can you give me a specific model?

Liad said:
Which microcontroller has enough pins for all of my demands?
Can you give me a specific model?

Well, assuming you're not doing anything to reduce pin count, you should be doing the analysis on how many pins you'll need for your display:

-4 7-segments = 4*7
-3 push buttons = 3
-Other LEDs = 1-5

So, something like 30+ I/O lines.

Then you go to your favourite microcontroller manufacturer and START with your I/O pin count, choosing the one which has the peripherals and on-board memory / FLASH / EEPROM you need.

If you've never worked with microcontrollers before, most microcontroller manufacturers make a 40-pin part, e.g. ATMEL ATmega32, ATmega644, Microchip 16F877A or 18F425) Unfortunately, 40-pin is the max that most manufacturers make nowadays that still come in DIP (dual in-line pin) packages. Which one should you go for? In some ways, that's like asking fans which sports team is the best.

But you'll need some way of programming them. The AVRisp mkII is pretty good, and capable of programming most ATMELs (there's also a GCC-based C compiler for it). Programming PICs are a little more hit and miss, but various homebrew programmers (and semi-pro kit-based ones) exist that can program various PICs. There is a Microchip C compiler for the PIC18 (and PIC32), but they were designed from the get go to be assembler machines (as opposed to the ATMELs which were designed to be high-language machines).

You can rest easy that various forums exist on the web to help you along with whatever microcontroller you go with, and whatever language you decide to program it in. Unless you go with something really obscure.

FAQ: Build a Custom Timer Circuit for Efficient Light Control - Step by Step Guide"

1. What is a "2 timers on/off command"?

A "2 timers on/off command" is a command used to control two separate timers simultaneously. This means that you can turn both timers on or off at the same time with just one command.

2. How does a "2 timers on/off command" work?

A "2 timers on/off command" works by sending a signal to both timers at the same time, instructing them to either turn on or off. This signal can be sent through various means such as a remote control, a computer program, or a physical button.

3. What are the benefits of using a "2 timers on/off command"?

The main benefit of using a "2 timers on/off command" is convenience. Instead of having to manually turn on or off two separate timers, you can do it with just one command. This can save time and effort, especially if the timers are in different locations.

4. Can a "2 timers on/off command" be used with any type of timer?

In most cases, yes. As long as the timers can receive a signal to turn on or off, a "2 timers on/off command" can be used. However, it is always best to check the compatibility of the timers before attempting to use this command.

5. Are there any limitations to using a "2 timers on/off command"?

One limitation of using a "2 timers on/off command" is that both timers must be able to receive the signal at the same time. If one timer is out of range or not functioning properly, the command may not work as intended. Additionally, this command may not work with timers that have different settings or modes of operation.

Back