Build a Homopolar Motor in 1 Week - Magnet & Screw Tips

In summary, the conversation is about building a homopolar motor in one week. The speaker is unsure about the type of magnet needed and asks if Amazon is a good place to purchase it. They also inquire about the type of screw required. They ask for tips from someone who has built a similar motor. The other person mentions that it may be easier to purchase a DC motor instead.
Qube
Gold Member
I have 1 week to build a motor.

I'm looking at building a homopolar motor.

I know I need a magnet. But does it have to be a neodymium one? And is Amazon a good place for such magnets?

And does the screw have to be a ferromagnetic one?

And if anyone has built such a motor, some hints and tips would be appreciated :D!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know much about building motors because it's crazy to build one when you can buy whichever one you need. So I guess my really only useful commentary is that you may be able to make a DC motor a lot easier, it's a classic because of the application to faraday's law.

Related to Build a Homopolar Motor in 1 Week - Magnet & Screw Tips

1. What is a homopolar motor?

A homopolar motor is a simple electric motor that uses the principles of electromagnetism to convert electrical energy into rotational motion. It consists of a battery, a magnet, and a conducting wire, and is often used as a fun and educational science experiment.

2. How does a homopolar motor work?

The battery supplies a current to the conducting wire, creating an electromagnetic field around the wire. This field interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing the wire to spin. The spinning motion is due to the right-hand rule of electromagnetism, where the direction of the current in the wire and the direction of the magnetic field determine the direction of the resulting force.

3. Can I build a homopolar motor in 1 week?

Yes, you can easily build a homopolar motor in 1 week, as it is a simple and straightforward experiment that requires minimal materials and tools. With some basic knowledge of electricity and magnetism, you can successfully build a homopolar motor in a short amount of time.

4. What materials do I need to build a homopolar motor?

To build a homopolar motor, you will need a battery (preferably a 9V battery), a strong magnet (such as a neodymium magnet), a screw, and some copper wire. You may also need pliers, a ruler, and a small piece of sandpaper to prepare the materials.

5. What are some tips for building a homopolar motor?

Some tips for building a homopolar motor include using a strong magnet and ensuring that the wire is clean and free of any insulation. You can also experiment with different sizes and shapes of magnets and screws to see how they affect the motor's performance. Additionally, make sure to securely attach the battery to the magnet and the wire to the screw to prevent any movement that could affect the motor's rotation.