Build a Vacuum Cannon | Hacked Gadgets

In summary, a vacuum cannon is a device that launches a projectile at high speeds by creating a sudden pressure difference inside a sealed tube. To build one, you will need a tube, a valve, a source of pressurized air, a projectile, and duct tape. To make it more powerful, you can adjust the length and diameter of the tube, the pressure of the air, and the timing of the release. It is important to use caution and safety measures when using a vacuum cannon, as it can be dangerous if not used properly. While it has practical applications for educational and recreational purposes, it should not be used as a weapon.
AfRoMaNn

http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/06/03/vacuum-cannon/

I was wondering how this can possibly work. There's even instructions on how to make it but theoretically, i don't know how a vacuum can do this

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see exactly where the vacuum end is or whether it's sucking or blowing, but it would be fairly easy to explain for many here if we had those details.

I think he's suddenly letting air into the end of the 'evacuated' tube, which sweeps the projectile along...

IIRC, this is like the steam catapults on aircraft carriers...

FAQ: Build a Vacuum Cannon | Hacked Gadgets

1. How does a vacuum cannon work?

A vacuum cannon works by creating a low-pressure environment inside a sealed tube, then releasing a burst of pressurized air into the tube, propelling a projectile at high speeds. The sudden pressure difference creates a powerful force that launches the projectile out of the cannon.

2. What materials are needed to build a vacuum cannon?

To build a vacuum cannon, you will need a long and sturdy tube with a sealed end, a valve to release the air, and a source of pressurized air, such as a bicycle pump. You will also need a projectile, such as a small foam ball or a potato, and some duct tape to secure everything in place.

3. How can I make my vacuum cannon more powerful?

To make your vacuum cannon more powerful, you can increase the length and diameter of the tube, as well as the pressure of the air inside. You can also experiment with different types of projectiles and adjust the timing of the release of air to maximize the force.

4. Is it safe to use a vacuum cannon?

As with any DIY project, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using a vacuum cannon. Make sure to wear safety goggles and use the cannon in a controlled environment, away from people and fragile objects. Also, be mindful of the amount of pressure you are using, as too much pressure can cause the cannon to explode.

5. What are some practical applications of a vacuum cannon?

A vacuum cannon can be used for educational purposes to demonstrate the principles of air pressure and the laws of motion. It can also be used for fun activities, such as launching objects at targets. However, it is not recommended to use a vacuum cannon as a weapon, as it can cause serious injury or damage.