Building a computing device for COMSOL and ABAQUS

In summary, a PhD student in Mechanical Engineering is looking for a high-end computing machine to run ABAQUS and COMSOL software. They have a budget of $10k and prefer to use Windows due to graphics issues with ABAQUS on other operating systems. Another user recommends the HP Z840 workstation with 32 cores and 256 GB memory, which can handle medium-large computational jobs and is more cost-effective than using a commercial cluster. The user also suggests checking the ABAQUS and COMSOL websites for detailed computer system requirements.
jatin1990
Hello to everyone,

I've just started my PhD in Mechanical Engineering. And we've to buy a computing machine of high end to use ABAQUS and COMSOL software. Can anybody recommend the machines which can run these both software.

P.S: We have to use Windows because there seems to be some graphics problems with ABAQUS for other Operating System.

P.S.2: We've a budget of almost $10k.

Thank you for your time.

We recently bought two hp z840 workstations, 32 cores and 256 Gb memory. We put windows on one of them and linux on the other. We are quite happy with them. They are very suitable for medium-large computational jobs and if used intensively they are cheaper than using the services of a commercial cluster. We use them for CFD analysis mostly. It falls in your price range.

I don't understand the problem .

Just look on the ABAQUS and COMSOL websites - they both have whole subsections detailing requirements for computer systems .

My assumption was that 'we' was the research group/faculty and that 'they' were looking for a high-end computer to do some serious phd-research computing using abaqus/comsol. And that they were not looking for a computer that met the minimum requirements. Maybe I assumed too much.

I was replying to the primary question and not to your response postings .

Related to Building a computing device for COMSOL and ABAQUS

1. How do I choose the right computing device for using COMSOL and ABAQUS?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a computing device for COMSOL and ABAQUS is the processing power. Both software programs require a significant amount of computational resources, so it is crucial to choose a device with a fast processor and a high amount of RAM. Additionally, make sure the device has a dedicated graphics card for optimal performance.

2. Can I use a regular desktop or laptop for running COMSOL and ABAQUS?

Yes, a regular desktop or laptop can be used for running COMSOL and ABAQUS as long as it meets the minimum system requirements. However, for complex simulations and large models, it is recommended to use a high-performance computing device.

3. What is the difference between using a single processor and multiple processors for running COMSOL and ABAQUS?

Using a single processor means that the software will only use one core of your device's CPU to perform calculations. On the other hand, using multiple processors, also known as parallel computing, means that the software can distribute the calculations across multiple cores, resulting in faster simulation times. However, not all models can benefit from parallel computing, so it is essential to consult the software's documentation or support team.

4. Do I need a high-speed internet connection for using COMSOL and ABAQUS?

No, a high-speed internet connection is not necessary for using COMSOL and ABAQUS as the software is run locally on your device. However, a stable internet connection is required for downloading and installing the software, as well as for accessing online resources and support.

5. Are there any specific hardware requirements for using COMSOL and ABAQUS on a Mac or Linux device?

COMSOL and ABAQUS are compatible with both Mac and Linux operating systems. However, it is essential to make sure that your device meets the minimum system requirements for these software programs. It is also recommended to check for any specific hardware requirements for your particular operating system on the software's official website.