Building a speaker, have a few questions about the voice coil and magnets

In summary, the speaker in the example has been designed to have a uniform magnetic field, even at the expense of some field strength.
luigidorf
Hi there,
I'm building a speaker for my intro to EE class. We were given ten small washer magnets, some washers, a nut and a bolt. Enameled wire is also provided. My group prototyped a speaker with the following configuration:

Voice coil wrapped around a paper tube which fits around the bolt (but does not touch it). The bolt is fixed. Two stacks of five magnets each are on either side of the bolt, magnetizing the bolt so there is (in theory) a magnetic field being produced from inside the voice coil as well as outside.

Our prototype sounds pretty good, but I'm apprehensive because it seems like the magnets are being wasted because there's only a small part of the actual magnets that are close to the voice coil. I am considering changing the design to the following:

All ten magnets stacked up, with a larger paper tube around them and the voice coil around that.

My thinking is that it could be better because the voice coil is constantly very close to the actual magnets (not a magnetized bolt). It would also allow for a larger voice coil. The downside I guess is that the voice coil would be heavier, and would only have a magnetic field generated from the inside. Are there any other factors I should consider? Does one voice coil arrangement work better than the other based on intuition or experience?

Engineering news on Phys.org
One requirement of the magnetic field in a speaker is that it should be constant to get low distortion.

You want the movement of the coil to depend on the current in it and not be influenced by an uneven magnetic field.

Close to a magnet, the field varies enormously depending on the position.

So, it sounds like your experiment has been arranged to give a uniform magnetic field, even at the expense of some field strength.

vk6kro said:
One requirement of the magnetic field in a speaker is that it should be constant to get low distortion.

You want the movement of the coil to depend on the current in it and not be influenced by an uneven magnetic field.

Close to a magnet, the field varies enormously depending on the position.

So, it sounds like your experiment has been arranged to give a uniform magnetic field, even at the expense of some field strength.

That's good info. However, I think I didn't explain the setup well enough because the voice coil only moves on one axis, and the magnets are essentially uniform along that axis for both set ups. Hope that makes sense.

If the field is uniform, then there will be no problem.

If you have a Hall sensor, you could check how uniform the field is when you stack magnets like that.

I suspect the field won't be very uniform at all, but the best way is to try it and see.

Is the coil attached to some sort of paper cone?

Speakers have an iron piece to re-orient the induction from axial to radial and to concentrate it, since iron saturates at 2T and magnets produce only 1.1T as a maximum - or 0.6T if used optimally.

Related to Building a speaker, have a few questions about the voice coil and magnets

1. How does a voice coil work in a speaker?

A voice coil is a wire coil that is attached to the speaker cone. When an electrical current passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field which interacts with the permanent magnets in the speaker. This interaction causes the voice coil and cone to vibrate, producing sound waves.

2. What is the purpose of the magnet in a speaker?

The magnet in a speaker is responsible for creating a fixed magnetic field. When the voice coil receives an electrical current, it interacts with this field, causing vibrations that produce sound.

3. How do I know what size voice coil to use for my speaker?

The size of the voice coil will depend on the intended use and size of the speaker. A smaller voice coil will produce higher frequencies, while a larger voice coil will produce lower frequencies. It is important to choose a voice coil that is compatible with the other components of the speaker for optimal performance.

4. Can I use multiple magnets in a speaker?

Yes, you can use multiple magnets in a speaker to increase the strength of the magnetic field and improve sound quality. However, it is important to ensure that the magnets are properly aligned and spaced to avoid interference with the voice coil.

5. How can I test the strength of a speaker magnet?

There are various ways to test the strength of a speaker magnet. One method is to use a gaussmeter, which measures the magnetic field strength. Another method is to use a compass, as the needle will align with the magnetic field. You can also test the magnet's strength by placing it near metal objects to see if it attracts or repels them.