Building Microcontrollers with Simulink & RTW

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is interested in building microcontrollers and is considering using simulink and real-time workshop for this purpose. They have questions about integrating external sensors and actuators into simulink and are also seeking recommendations for a kit, compiler, and book to help them learn without having to learn C syntax.
physicsCU
OK, you might laugh at me for this, but...

I am looking at building microcontrollers, doing simple stuff for now, like cutting power to another controller, or doing a PID controller on a servo.

I am thinking about using simulink and real-time workshop to do this. (this is the funny)

My question is, how do I integrate external input sensors and output actuators into simulink so that RTW-generated C code takes those inputs, runs them through my model/program and gives the desired outputs?

And on the power one, that seems pretty basic, user input says switch ->, switch is a power switch, cutting voltage to 0V on board needing to be powered off.

But my question still stands. I am trying to do stuff without learning C syntax, just reading the code, getting familiar (i am doing stuff on desktop as well), so when I take my microcontroller class, I have a leg up.

Thanks all!

Technology news on Phys.org
Nope. To learn how to work with uCs, you need to at least buy a small kit and compiler and start writing code. No other way. Go for it!

Bummer. And there seemed to be so many resources out there from the MATLAB people.

recommendations as to what I should get for kit and compiler? and a book maybe? I hate finding stuff online, just too frustrating IMO.

Last edited:

FAQ: Building Microcontrollers with Simulink & RTW

What is the purpose of building microcontrollers with Simulink & RTW?

The purpose of building microcontrollers with Simulink & RTW is to create a hardware-in-the-loop simulation environment for testing and verifying control algorithms before implementing them on physical hardware. This allows for faster and more efficient development of embedded control systems.

How does Simulink & RTW aid in the development process?

Simulink & RTW provide a graphical programming interface, making it easier for developers to design and implement control algorithms. They also offer real-time hardware-in-the-loop testing capabilities, allowing for quick and accurate verification of the control system's performance.

What are the benefits of using Simulink & RTW for microcontroller development?

Some of the benefits of using Simulink & RTW for microcontroller development include faster development time, improved system design and analysis, and increased code reliability. Additionally, the use of a graphical programming interface reduces the need for manual coding, resulting in fewer errors and more efficient debugging processes.

Can Simulink & RTW be used for any type of microcontroller?

Yes, Simulink & RTW can be used with a variety of microcontrollers, including popular brands like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and Texas Instruments. The software also supports a wide range of programming languages, making it versatile for different hardware platforms.

Are there any limitations to using Simulink & RTW for microcontroller development?

One limitation of using Simulink & RTW is that it requires a significant amount of computing resources, which may not be feasible for all development environments. Additionally, the software may have a learning curve for those who are new to graphical programming. However, there are resources and tutorials available to help users get started.