Bullet acceleration homework problem

In summary, the question asks for the force exerted by a large fixed block of wood on a bullet that impacts it at 535m/s and travels 5.9 cm before coming to rest, assuming constant acceleration. The process to find the force involves converting cm to m, finding the acceleration using the formula v^2 = v^2 + 2ah, and then plugging the acceleration into the formula F = ma and converting N to KN. The answer that was obtained was incorrect, but the specific numbers used and the resulting answer were not provided.
kmikias
Hi..guys i have question again i guess you gone help me out here is the question

1. A bullet of mass 0.0016 kg moving at 535m/s impacts a large fixed block of wood and travel 5.9 cm before coming to rest.
Assuming that the acceleration of the bullet is constant ,find the force exerted by the wood on the bullet. answer in units of KN.

here is what i did .
change cm to m.
then I try to find acceleration using the v^2 = v^2 + 2ah

after i found the acceleration i plug to F = ma
change N to KN.

but my answer was wrong ...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi kmikias,

kmikias said:
Hi..guys i have question again i guess you gone help me out here is the question

1. A bullet of mass 0.0016 kg moving at 535m/s impacts a large fixed block of wood and travel 5.9 cm before coming to rest.
Assuming that the acceleration of the bullet is constant ,find the force exerted by the wood on the bullet. answer in units of KN.

here is what i did .
change cm to m.
then I try to find acceleration using the v^2 = v^2 + 2ah

after i found the acceleration i plug to F = ma
change N to KN.

but my answer was wrong ...

What numbers did you use, and what answer did you get?

Hi there,

Based on your description, it seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, there may be some errors in your calculations that are leading to an incorrect answer. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to solve this problem and find the force exerted by the wood on the bullet:

1. First, let's convert the distance traveled from centimeters to meters. 5.9 cm is equal to 0.059 m.

2. Now, we can use the kinematic equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the acceleration (a) of the bullet. Here, u is the initial velocity (535 m/s) and v is the final velocity (0 m/s). Plugging in the values, we get:

0^2 = (535)^2 + 2a(0.059)

Solving for a, we get a = -48144.068 m/s^2. Note that the negative sign indicates that the bullet is decelerating.

3. Next, we can use the equation F = ma to find the force exerted by the wood on the bullet. Here, m is the mass of the bullet (0.0016 kg) and a is the acceleration we just calculated (-48144.068 m/s^2). Plugging in the values, we get:

F = (0.0016)(-48144.068) = -77.031 KN

Note that the force is negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the bullet's motion.

4. Finally, let's convert the force from Newtons to kilonewtons. 1 kN is equal to 1000 N, so we can simply divide the force by 1000 to get the final answer in KN:

F = -77.031/1000 = -0.077031 KN

So, the force exerted by the wood on the bullet is approximately 0.077 KN. Keep in mind that this answer may differ slightly from yours due to rounding errors or other factors. I hope this helps!

Related to Bullet acceleration homework problem

1. What is the formula for calculating bullet acceleration?

The formula for calculating bullet acceleration is a = (vf - vo) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vo is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of a bullet?

The initial velocity of a bullet can be determined by using a ballistic chronograph, which measures the speed of the bullet as it passes through two screens. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the distance traveled by the bullet and the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a bullet?

The acceleration of a bullet can be affected by factors such as the weight and shape of the bullet, the type and amount of gunpowder used, and the length of the barrel of the gun.

4. How does air resistance impact the acceleration of a bullet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the acceleration of a bullet. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down and decreases its acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a bullet be constant?

No, the acceleration of a bullet is not constant. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences drag which causes its acceleration to decrease. Additionally, as the bullet exits the barrel of the gun, it experiences a sudden increase in acceleration due to the force of the gunpowder explosion.

Back