Bullet fired into a block that and swings like a pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a 2.5 kg wood block and a 1.0 kg, 1.2 m long rod forming a frictionless pendulum. A 12 g bullet is fired into the block, causing the pendulum to swing to a 33 degree angle. The solution involves treating the collision and the subsequent motion of the pendulum as two separate phases, using conservation of momentum for the collision and conservation of energy for the pendulum's motion.
kerbyjonsonjr

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg wood block hangs from the bottom of a 1.0 kg, 1.2 m long rod. The block and rod form a pendulum that swings on a frictionless pivot at the top end of the rod. A 12 g bullet is fired into the block, where it sticks, causing the pendulum to swing out to a 33 angle.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv2
gravitational potential=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the kinetic energy of the bullet all ends up as potential energy at the top of the swing I set kinetic energy equal to the sum of all the gravitational potential energies. The height that the rod goes would be from its center of mass so it would be cos33=h/.6 which equals .5m. Then the height of the bullet and the block would be cos33=h/1.2 which equals 1 m. Then I used the equation 1/2mv2= mgh + (m+m)gh and that plugged in with numbers looks like 1/2(.012)v2=1(9.81)(.5) +(2.5 +.012)(9.81)(1) and then I solved for v and got v= 70.2 m/s

I do not know where I went wrong. If anybody could help me that would be great and I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kerbyjonsonjr! :smile:

this is a perfectly inelastic collision … energy is not conserved, and you have to use conservation of momentum or angular momentum (momentum and angular momentum are always conserved in collisions) …

only after you find the initial speed can you then use conservation of energy :wink:

kerbyjonsonjr said:
Since the kinetic energy of the bullet all ends up as potential energy at the top of the swing
Ah, but it doesn't. The collision between bullet and block is perfectly inelastic. Mechanical energy is not conserved during the collision, but something else is. What?

You'll need to treat the behavior of bullet and pendulum in two phases:
(1) The collision itself.
(2) The rising of the pendulum after the collision.

Different things are conserved during each phase.

Al is right. In the first part, energy is not conserved because the collision is inelastic. After the collision, the block moves right after the bullet stops, making this part of it elastic. Solve by using conservation of momentum for the first part and conservation of energy for the second part.

I would like to point out that your solution is not entirely accurate. While your equations and calculations are correct, there are a few assumptions and simplifications that may affect the accuracy of your results.

Firstly, the assumption of a frictionless pivot may not be entirely realistic. In real-world scenarios, there will always be some level of friction present which can affect the motion of the pendulum.

Secondly, the pendulum is not a perfect system. The block and rod will experience some level of deformation upon impact from the bullet, which can affect the conservation of energy and the overall motion of the pendulum.

Thirdly, air resistance is not taken into account in your solution. In real-world scenarios, the bullet will experience air resistance as it travels through the air, which can affect its speed and kinetic energy upon impact with the block.

To improve the accuracy of your solution, you can consider incorporating these factors into your equations and calculations. This may involve using more complex equations and taking into account variables such as friction, deformation, and air resistance. Additionally, performing experiments to measure and verify the results can also help to improve the accuracy of your solution.

Overall, while your approach is correct, it is important to keep in mind the limitations and assumptions in your solution and to continuously strive for more accurate and realistic results in scientific research.

Related to Bullet fired into a block that and swings like a pendulum

1. How does the weight of the bullet affect the swing of the pendulum?

The weight of the bullet does not have a significant impact on the swing of the pendulum. The primary factor affecting the swing is the initial velocity of the bullet when it enters the block.

2. Will the length of the pendulum affect the trajectory of the bullet?

Yes, the length of the pendulum will have an impact on the trajectory of the bullet. A longer pendulum will result in a wider swing and may alter the path of the bullet as it exits the block.

3. Can the angle of the pendulum affect the distance that the bullet travels?

Yes, the angle of the pendulum can impact the distance that the bullet travels. A steeper angle will result in a shorter swing and may cause the bullet to travel a shorter distance.

4. How does the density of the block affect the pendulum's swing?

The density of the block will have a minimal effect on the swing of the pendulum. The main factor is the initial velocity of the bullet and the angle of the pendulum.

5. Can the material of the block affect the trajectory of the bullet?

Yes, the material of the block can impact the trajectory of the bullet. A softer material may absorb more of the bullet's energy and cause it to travel a shorter distance, while a harder material may result in a longer distance traveled by the bullet.

Back