Bullet in Block- 2D Projectiles w/ Motion

In summary, a 9 g bullet is fired into a 396 g block initially at rest at the edge of a frictionless table of height 0.9 m. The bullet remains in the block and after impact, the block lands 2.3 m from the bottom of the table. Using kinematic equations, it is determined that the initial horizontal velocity of the bullet is 5.366666667 m/s. The collision equation m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f is then used to solve for the initial velocity of the bullet, and the values of m2, v2i, and v2f are determined to be the mass of the block, the initial
physicsluv

Homework Statement

A(n) 9 g bullet is fired into a 396 g block
that is initially at rest at the edge of a frictionless table of height 0.9 m. The bullet remains
in the block, and after impact the block lands
2.3 m from the bottom of the table.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s.

Homework Equations

ΔX = Vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2)

m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the equation into vertical and horizontal parts.

Horizontal: ΔX=2.3, a = 0 m/s/s
Vertical: ΔY= .9, a= -9.8 m/s/s, Vi = 0 m/s (because it is launched horizontally).

Using the kinematic equation ΔX = Vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2) to solve for the vertical time:
t = 0.4285714286 seconds

Since the vertical time is equal to the horizontal time, I plugged this time into the same kinematic equation to solve for the horizontal Vi:
Vi = 5.366666667 m/s

Now, I know you need to use the collision equation to solve for the initial velocity in the bullet, but I do not know how to set it up...
I have this so far

9(5.366666667-vi)=-____?_____

Thank you for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi) That is not the collision equation I am familiar with. With just a single m, it suggests a collision involving a single object, an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. Try m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f
You should then be able to quickly simplify one side by equating one velocity with another, and it will all fall out from there.

Barakn said:
m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi) That is not the collision equation I am familiar with. With just a single m, it suggests a collision involving a single object, an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. Try m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f
You should then be able to quickly simplify one side by equating one velocity with another, and it will all fall out from there.
What would m2, v2i, and v2f be?

m2 would be mass of the block, v2i is the initial velocity of the block, and v2f is the final velocity of the block

I got it, thanks!

FAQ: Bullet in Block- 2D Projectiles w/ Motion

1. What is a "Bullet in Block" 2D projectile?

A "Bullet in Block" 2D projectile is a simulation of a bullet being fired into a stationary block of material in a two-dimensional space. It takes into account the motion and physics of both the bullet and the block, including factors such as velocity, mass, and angle of impact.

2. How is the motion of the bullet and block calculated?

The motion of the bullet and block is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial conditions (such as velocity and angle) and the laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion. These equations are programmed into the simulation and are continuously updated to accurately represent the motion of the objects.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of the simulation?

The outcome of the simulation can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial conditions (such as the velocity and angle of the bullet), the properties of the materials used for the bullet and block (such as density and elasticity), and external factors such as air resistance and friction. These factors can be adjusted in the simulation to explore different scenarios and outcomes.

4. How can this simulation be useful in real-world applications?

This simulation can be useful in understanding the physics and mechanics of projectile motion, which has real-world applications in fields such as ballistics, engineering, and sports. It can also be used as a teaching tool to demonstrate the effects of different variables on the outcome of a projectile scenario.

5. Is this simulation accurate in representing real-life scenarios?

The accuracy of this simulation depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and the properties assigned to the objects. With proper settings and conditions, the simulation can provide a close representation of real-life scenarios. However, it should not be used as a substitute for real-world testing and experimentation.

Back