Bullet passes through block - conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a stationary block on a table with a coefficient of friction of 0.4. A bullet passes through the block, causing it to move 1.2m. Using the equations W(f) = ΔKE and Pix=Px, the velocity of the bullet before it hits the person is calculated to be 121.65 m/s. The accuracy of this calculation may be affected by the assumed value of g.
danielamartins

Homework Statement

There's a stationary block (m1=1,5kg) in a table (Coefficient of Friction=0,4). A bullet passes through the block and hits a person. The block moved 1,2m. Calculate the velocity of the bullet (mb=0,0079kg and vib=709,88m/s) when it hit the person.

Homework Equations

W(f) = ΔKE

Pix=Px

The Attempt at a Solution

W(f) = ΔKE

v1 - velocity of the block after being hit by the bullet
μ - coefficient of friction = 0,4
d - distance - 1,2 m

- m1×g×μ×d=0- 1/2×m1×v1^2

v1= 3.098 m/s

Then, mb= 0,0079kg and vib=709,88 m/s:
By conservation of momentum:
Pix=Px
p(ix,b)+p(ix,1)= p(x,b)+ p(x,1)
mb×vib+m1×vi1=mb×vb+m1×v1

vb= 121,65 m/s

So, basically, this is what I did. I had to make up the values for the mass of the block and for the distance it traveled.
The thing is, is this analysis right? Because slowing down that much after passing through a block of wood doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Your work looks correct to me.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! I appreciate it ;)

I assume you're using g = 10 ms^-2. I get 121.58 ms^-1.

Yes, I'm using g=10m/s^2

Since the given data are expressed to several significant figures, I would use a more precise value for g. The calculation involves taking the difference of two large numbers to obtain a rather smaller one, so a small error in an input can produce a relatively large error in the result. With g = 9.8 ms-2 I get 127.5m/s.
The answer could indeed be that low. A bullet might not go right through a 1.5kg block of wood.

FAQ: Bullet passes through block - conservation of momentum

1. How does conservation of momentum apply to a bullet passing through a block?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant. In the case of a bullet passing through a block, the momentum of the bullet is transferred to the block, resulting in an equal and opposite change in momentum for both objects. This transfer of momentum is what allows the bullet to penetrate the block.

2. What factors affect the amount of momentum transferred when a bullet passes through a block?

The amount of momentum transferred in a collision depends on the mass and velocity of the objects involved. In the case of a bullet and block, the speed and mass of the bullet, as well as the density and thickness of the block, can all affect the amount of momentum transferred.

3. Can the conservation of momentum be violated in a bullet-block collision?

No, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be violated. In a bullet-block collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision must be equal, even if there is a change in the individual momenta of the objects involved.

4. How does the conservation of momentum relate to the concept of recoil?

Recoil is a result of the law of conservation of momentum. When a bullet is fired from a gun, the gun and the bullet have opposite momenta. As the bullet travels forward, the gun recoils backwards with an equal and opposite momentum. This is due to the transfer of momentum between the gun and the bullet.

5. Are there any other laws or principles involved in a bullet passing through a block?

In addition to the conservation of momentum, the law of conservation of energy also applies to a bullet-block collision. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision must remain constant, even if there is a change in the individual energies of the objects involved. Additionally, the laws of motion, such as Newton's second law, play a role in determining the outcome of the collision.