Bullet passing through 4cm thick board

In summary, we have a problem where a bullet is traveling horizontally at 350 m/s and hits a 4 cm thick board perpendicular to the surface, passing through it and emerging at a speed of 210 m/s. We are trying to find the time it takes for the bullet to pass through the board. Using the equation d=0.5(vo+vf)t, where d is the thickness of the board and vo and vf are the initial and final velocities, we can solve for t. The possible answers for the problem "angle of bullet when fired" are 3, 10, 30, and 80, but there is no additional information given.
Physics08

Homework Statement

A bullet traveling horizontally at a speed of 350 m/s hits a board perpendicular to the surface, passes through it, and it emerges on the other side at a speed of 210 m/s. If the board is 4 cm thick, how long does the bullet take to pass through it (in seconds)?

Homework Equations

X(t) = Vt + x(i)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is not knowing which formula to use. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
if you consider that the acceleration of the bullet is constant in the board. than, i think you can handle it.

First off, deceleration is constant, if the board is uniform.
The equation you use is d=.5(vo+vf)t. d, vo, vf is given. Also, don't forget to convert cm to m.

Thank you very much, Silvashadow

Did I get it right?

Yes, I got it right! In the future I will remember to mention that.

Also, would you please see my other thread (titled “angle of bullet when fired”) and let me know if I am on the right track for answering the question.

FYI, there is no additional information to the problem (titled “angle of bullet when fired”), other than what was stated. Thank you

The possible answers for the problem (titled “angle of bullet when fired”), are 3, 10, 30 and 80.

Ive been looking at this problem for a few minutes.
What does the d stand for in the forumla that silvashadow mentions?

i get that d=.5(350+210)t where t is what we are looking for. is d 4?

Related to Bullet passing through 4cm thick board

1. How does a bullet pass through a 4cm thick board?

A bullet passes through a 4cm thick board by utilizing its high kinetic energy and momentum. When a bullet is fired, it carries a large amount of energy which allows it to penetrate through the board.

2. What factors influence the ability of a bullet to pass through a 4cm thick board?

The factors that influence the ability of a bullet to pass through a 4cm thick board include the type and speed of the bullet, the material and density of the board, and the angle at which the bullet hits the board.

3. Can any type of bullet pass through a 4cm thick board?

No, not all bullets are able to pass through a 4cm thick board. Bullets with higher muzzle velocity and a smaller cross-sectional area are more likely to penetrate the board than slower and larger bullets.

4. How does the thickness of the board affect a bullet's ability to pass through it?

The thicker the board, the more difficult it is for a bullet to pass through it. This is because a thicker board requires more energy to be penetrated and can also cause the bullet to slow down and lose momentum.

5. Is it possible for a bullet to pass through a 4cm thick board without leaving any visible damage?

It is highly unlikely for a bullet to pass through a 4cm thick board without leaving any visible damage. Even if the bullet does not completely penetrate the board, it will still leave a noticeable mark or indentation on the surface.