Bungee Cord Damping and Unstretched Length Calculation

• Thread starter aks_sky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bungee
In summary, the conversation is about a person of mass 80 kg taking a bungee jump and the length of the bungee cord changing at different points. The period of small oscillations is given as 6 seconds and the person eventually comes to rest with a cord length of 50m. The question is to find the damping constant and the unstretched length of the cord. The person has used an equation to find the spring constant but is unsure about the Delta L since the length of the cord changes. They also ask for an easier way to find the damping constant.
aks_sky
I am a bit confused in this problem.

A person of mass 80 kg takes a bungee jump. At the lowest point of the jump the bungee cord is 90m in length and then at the lowest point of the next oscillation the cord has a length of 80m. when the person does eventually come to rest the length of the cord is 50m. the period of the small oscillations just before the person comes to rest is 6s. find the damping constant for the cord and its unstretched length.

What i tried:

Well i have been given the Period of the small oscillations which is 6s. Now to find the spring constant i use this:
[tex]
T=2\cdot\pi\cdot\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}
[/tex]
And then if use this next equation, The only thing i am not sure about is the Delta L. Since the length of the cord changes in the question.
[tex]
mg=k\Delta L
[/tex]

Can someone help me clear up on the rope length and the unstretched part. I am just a but confused. and is there an easier way also to find the damping constant since i will have all the relevant parameters?

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody know?

ok then. thank you!

FAQ: Bungee Cord Damping and Unstretched Length Calculation

1. What is bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping is an extreme sport in which a person jumps from a high structure while attached to an elastic cord. The cord stretches and recoils, allowing the person to bounce up and down until coming to a stop.

2. How high do you have to jump for bungee jumping?

The height of a bungee jump can vary, but it is typically between 100-200 feet. Some jumps can be as high as 400 feet.

3. Is bungee jumping safe?

Bungee jumping has risks, but if proper safety measures are taken, it can be a relatively safe activity. It is important to only participate in bungee jumps that are operated by trained professionals and to follow all safety protocols.

4. How do you prepare for a bungee jump?

Before a bungee jump, it is important to listen to all safety instructions and make sure you have proper gear, such as a harness and ankle straps. It is also important to do some light stretching to warm up your muscles and mentally prepare for the jump.

5. What is the best location for bungee jumping?

There are many great locations for bungee jumping around the world. Some popular ones include the Macau Tower in China, Victoria Falls Bridge in Zambia/Zimbabwe, and the Nevis Highwire Bungy in New Zealand.

Back