Bungee Jumper Acceleration and Distance Problem

• Thread starter tjb1
  • Start date
In summary, the bungee jumper falls for 1.3 seconds before the bungee cord begins to stretch. When the bungee cord stretches, it causes the jumper to have an average acceleration of 4 m/s^2 upwards until they reach the same level as the diving platform. To calculate the speed when the bungee cord begins to stretch, the equation used is 9.8 m/s^2 * 1.3 seconds, which results in 12.74 m/s. To find the distance below the diving platform at that moment, the formula 1/2*9.8 m/s^2 * (1.3 seconds)^2 can be used, which gives an answer of 8
tjb1

Homework Statement

A bungie jumper falls for 1.3s before the bungee cord begins to stretch. Until the jumper has bounced back up to this level, the bungee causes the jumper to have an average acceleration upward of 4 m/s^2.
a. How fast is the jumper going when the bungee cord begins to stretch?
b.How far below the diving platform is the jumper at that moment?
c. How long after the bungee cord begins to stretch does the jumper reach the low point of the drop?
d. How far below the diving platform is the jumper at the instant the speed is zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten A which is 12.74 m/s^2, I am having trouble getting b though and I haven't even started c or d. This is my first Physics class ever and its in college so I am having a bit of trouble getting started here...

The teacher has posted the answers so we can check ourselves and the answer to B is 8.28m which I can get with 1/2*a*t but the appears to be the formula for velocity, and what exactly is the 12.74 m/s^2 and how do I get that to 12.74 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
tjb1 said:

Homework Statement

A bungie jumper falls for 1.3s before the bungee cord begins to stretch. Until the jumper has bounced back up to this level, the bungee causes the jumper to have an average acceleration upward of 4 m/s^2.
a. How fast is the jumper going when the bungee cord begins to stretch?
b.How far below the diving platform is the jumper at that moment?
c. How long after the bungee cord begins to stretch does the jumper reach the low point of the drop?
d. How far below the diving platform is the jumper at the instant the speed is zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten A which is 12.74 m/s^2,
The question asks for a velocity or speed ("how fast...?"), but your answer has the units of acceleration. Can you show how you calculated this?

... I am having trouble getting b though and I haven't even started c or d. This is my first Physics class ever and its in college so I am having a bit of trouble getting started here...

The teacher has posted the answers so we can check ourselves and the answer to B is 8.28m which I can get with 1/2*a*t but the appears to be the formula for velocity,
I don't see you you can get 8.28m using 1/2*a*t.

Check your textbook or class lecture notes. There should be an equation for distance fallen, or traveled, in terms of time and acceleration -- perhaps using g.

... and what exactly is the 12.74 m/s^2 and how do I get that to 12.74 m/s?
If you show how you calculated the 12.74 m/s2, I could probably help you figure out where the mistake is.

I got 12.74 by 9.8m/s^2*1.3. And this textbook is horrible, it doesn't really have a formula, it just shows random examples that don't pertain to any of the problems.

Related to Bungee Jumper Acceleration and Distance Problem

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. The standard unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (Δv) by the change in time (Δt). This can be represented by the formula a = Δv/Δt. If the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate, acceleration can also be calculated by multiplying the object's initial velocity by the time it takes to change its velocity.

3. What is the distance traveled during acceleration?

The distance traveled during acceleration depends on the initial velocity, the rate of acceleration, and the time taken. It can be calculated using the formula d = v₀t + 1/2at², where d is the distance, v₀ is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

4. How is the acceleration/distance problem solved?

The acceleration/distance problem can be solved by using the three equations of motion: v = v₀ + at, d = v₀t + 1/2at², and v² = v₀² + 2ad. In order to solve for a specific unknown variable, you must have values for at least two other variables.

5. How does acceleration affect distance traveled?

Acceleration affects distance traveled by increasing or decreasing the rate at which an object's velocity changes. If an object is accelerating, it will cover a greater distance in a shorter amount of time compared to an object with no acceleration. The larger the acceleration, the greater the distance traveled in a given time period.

Back