Buoancy (block floating in water)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fraction of a block submerged in water after pouring oil over it. The initial force of buoyancy is equal to the final force of buoyancy, and using this information, x is determined to be 0.9. However, it is later realized that x should not have been factored, leading to the correct solution.
etagg
Im confused by this question:

A block of wood floats above water with 90% of its volume submerged. Oil with a density of 875kg/m^3 is then poured over the block so that it covers the entire block. Find the fraction of the block now submerged in water.

I know that the fraction of the block submerged will decrease.
I started by recognizing that the initial force of buoyancy is equal to the final force of buoyancy

ρ_w g(0.9)V=ρ_w gxV+ρ_o g(1-x)V

Where the V and g cancel out, and the x is equal to the portion of the volume submerged in the water and the oil.
However, when i use this method, x equals 0.9, meaning that the same amount of the block is submerged in the water, when it should be less of the block is submerged in the water.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
etagg said:
I started by recognizing that the initial force of buoyancy is equal to the final force of buoyancy

ρ_w g(0.9)V=ρ_w gxV+ρ_o g(1-x)V
OK.

Where the V and g cancel out, and the x is equal to the portion of the volume submerged in the water and the oil.
x is the fraction of the block submerged in water.
However, when i use this method, x equals 0.9, meaning that the same amount of the block is submerged in the water, when it should be less of the block is submerged in the water.
Please show how you solved for x.

ohhhh, what a stupid mistake. I mistakenly factored 0.9 when i should not have. Goes to show what happens when you look at a problem for too long!
thanks for your help.

Related to Buoancy (block floating in water)

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy is governed by Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that if the weight of the object is less than the weight of the fluid it displaces, it will float.

What factors affect buoyancy?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid it is immersed in, the volume of the object, and the force of gravity. Objects with greater volume or lower density will experience more buoyant force.

How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy by changing its volume or density. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more buoyant force, while objects with a lower density will float more easily.

What is the relationship between buoyancy and density?

Buoyancy and density have an inverse relationship. As the density of an object increases, its ability to displace fluid and therefore experience buoyant force decreases. Objects with a higher density will sink, while those with a lower density will float more easily.