Buoyant force and volume submerged

In summary: However, if both objects are completely submerged, then the buoyant force will be equal due to the Archimedes' principle. This is because both objects will displace the same volume of liquid, regardless of their shapes or sizes. So, the buoyant force will be equal in this scenario. In summary, the conversation discusses objects made from the same material with the same mass and the same base. The question is raised about the buoyant force on these objects when placed in a liquid, and whether it will be equal or different. The answer is that if the objects are completely submerged, the buoyant force will be equal due to the Archimedes' principle, as both objects will displace the same volume of liquid. However,
swell9
Hello,

This is bugging me so I'd appreciate any help.
I have two objects made from the same material with the same mass.
The base of Object 2 is 3 times that of Object 1. If I place the objects base first in a liquid, why is the buoyant force on them equal?

What here is what I'm thinking:
V[itex]_{ submerged}[/itex]= (Density[itex]_{ object}[/itex] X Volume[itex]_{ object}[/itex]) / (Density[itex]_{ liquid}[/itex])

Since the volume of the two objects has to be different if they are of the same material and of the same mass, the volume submerged of each will also be different.
Doesn't this give that the Buoyant force will also be different?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
if material (therefore density) and mass are the same, then volume is also the same.

swell9 said:
The base of Object 2 is 3 times that of Object 1. If I place the objects base first in a liquid, why is the buoyant force on them equal?
If the objects are made of the same material and they have the same mass, then they necessarily have the same volume although their shapes are different.

If the objects are denser than water, they'll sink, the entire volume will end up underwater, and it won't matter if that one of them is wider in the other.

If they are not denser than water, they will float. Both will displace a volume of water equal to their weight; the one with the narrower base will sink deeper into the water to displace the same volume.

Travis_King said:
if material (therefore density) and mass are the same, then volume is also the same.

Oh wow I'm officially an idiot now. Thanks though :P

Nugatory said:
If they are not denser than water, they will float. Both will displace a volume of water equal to their weight; the one with the narrower base will sink deeper into the water to displace the same volume.

Is this scenario referring to objects that do not have the same volume?

Basically what I'm saying: if they have the same volume then they necessarily displace the same liquid volume. Is this statement correct?

swell9 said:
Is this scenario referring to objects that do not have the same volume?

Basically what I'm saying: if they have the same volume then they necessarily displace the same liquid volume. Is this statement correct?

They necessarily displace the same volume. But if their shapes are different, as suggested by "the base of Object 2 is 3 times that of Object 1" in your first post, then the depth below the water and the height above the water will be different. Suppose that one of the objects is 10 cm by 30 cm by 1 cm and the other is 10 cm by 10 cm by 3 cm, and they both have a density of .5 grams/cm3. They'll both have a volume of 300 cm[sup3[/sup], a mass of 150 grams, and will displace 150 cm3 of water. However, the first object will sink .5 cm into the water and the second will sink 1.5 cm into the water.

Nugatory said:
They necessarily displace the same volume. But if their shapes are different, as suggested by "the base of Object 2 is 3 times that of Object 1" in your first post, then the depth below the water and the height above the water will be different. Suppose that one of the objects is 10 cm by 30 cm by 1 cm and the other is 10 cm by 10 cm by 3 cm, and they both have a density of .5 grams/cm3. They'll both have a volume of 300 cm[sup3[/sup], a mass of 150 grams, and will displace 150 cm3 of water. However, the first object will sink .5 cm into the water and the second will sink 1.5 cm into the water.

Thanks so much. It is clear now.

I used to have a similar question a few years ago in undergrad about buoyancy. If I had two objects of the same mass, but one with a much larger surface area (comparing say, a sphere and a koosh ball of the same material) it seemed to me that the pressure times a larger surface area would lead to a larger buoyant force.

Once I figured out how to do surface integrals, I figured out that no matter the shape, the buoyant force is always equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. It doesn't matter if the fluid is compressible, or if we assume local gravity, universal gravity, or even with some GR thrown in; the result is the same.

swell9 said:
The buoyant force can be different here, if the material's density is greater than water's, and the objects are shaped such that one sinks while the other one floats on the surface.

FAQ: Buoyant force and volume submerged

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How is buoyant force calculated?

Buoyant force can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between buoyant force and volume submerged?

The buoyant force is directly proportional to the volume of the object submerged in the fluid. This means that as the volume of the object submerged increases, so does the buoyant force.

How does the density of the fluid affect the buoyant force?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the buoyant force. The more dense the fluid is, the greater the buoyant force will be. This is because a denser fluid has a greater weight, and therefore exerts a greater pressure on the object, resulting in a greater buoyant force.

Can an object sink in a fluid with a lower density?

Yes, an object can sink in a fluid with a lower density. This is because even though the fluid may have a lower density, the object may still have a higher density than the fluid, causing it to sink. The buoyant force only becomes greater than the weight of the object when the object's density is less than the density of the fluid.