But the answer is supposed to be 120.Can you explain why?

• Thread starter mutineer123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, when selecting one forward and two other players for a football team, the number of possible combinations is 75. This is because the order of the two non-forward players does not matter, so the total number of combinations must be divided by 2 to account for this.
mutineer123
combination problem: A football team consists of 3 players who play in a defence...

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_s05_qp_6.pdf

7 a ii (if exactly one forward player must be included, together with any two others)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why my answer is wrong. So before answering to what the actual answer is, FIRST I want you to explain it to me why my answer is not right.

Heres what I did:
The possible combinations are

(D,M,F)
(D,D,F)
(M,M,F)

I got
3C1 X 3C1 X 5C1 +
3C1 X 2C1 X 5C1 +
3C1 x 2C1 x 5C1
=105

Physics news on Phys.org

Note that I don't have a lot of experience with these types of problems so I may be wrong. However, you might find this helpful.

If I'm understanding this question correctly, it's stipulating that we must pick one forward and then we pick two people who aren't forwards. So we start with having 5 choices for forward. Once we've made that choice, we are picking from a pool of 6 people (all of the non-forwards). Once we've made that choice, we are picking from a pool of 5 people (the remaining non-forwards).

So the number of combinations is (5)(6)(5) = 150?

zooxanthellae said:
Note that I don't have a lot of experience with these types of problems so I may be wrong. However, you might find this helpful.

If I'm understanding this question correctly, it's stipulating that we must pick one forward and then we pick two people who aren't forwards. So we start with having 5 choices for forward. Once we've made that choice, we are picking from a pool of 6 people (all of the non-forwards). Once we've made that choice, we are picking from a pool of 5 people (the remaining non-forwards).

So the number of combinations is (5)(6)(5) = 150?

Your answer is wrong, but it ironically helped me understand why the right answer is right!(the part where you said Once we've made that choice, we are picking from a pool of 6 people). The answer is 75. Like you said we select a forward first (5C1) then we select 2 from the 6(3 def 3 mid) in any order, i,e (6C2). Their product gives the correct answer. But I still do not get why my answer is wrong.

Oh, I see my error (and yours!). The order that the other players are picked in is irrelevant, but our solutions work as if the order matters. Dividing by two accounts for the irrelevancy of order and produces the correct answer, 75. This works because by dividing by two we are effectively throwing out half of the possibilities, i.e. the situations in which the order of the second two players is the only thing that differs.

In my case you can just divide the whole thing by 2, but in your case you only need to divide the second 2 expressions by 2. Both then produce 75.

5.6C2=75

1st. you can choose 5 ways.
2nd. you can choose 6 ways
3nd. you can choose 5 ways( since 1 remove used for second place)

Total 150 but f,m,d = f,d,m (2 different permutation, actually 1 group)
Total permutation=150/2= 75

Last edited:

Related to But the answer is supposed to be 120.Can you explain why?

1. Why is the answer supposed to be 120?

The answer is supposed to be 120 because it is the result of a mathematical calculation or equation. It is the most accurate and logical answer based on the given information.

2. What factors can affect the answer to be different from 120?

Several factors can affect the answer to be different from 120, such as incorrect data or variables used in the calculation, human error in performing the calculation, or a different method or formula used to solve the problem.

3. Can you provide an example of a situation where the answer would not be 120?

Sure, for example, if the given problem involves rounding off numbers or estimating values, the answer may not be exactly 120. It could also be a word problem where the answer is not a numerical value, but a concept or explanation.

4. How can I check if 120 is the correct answer?

You can check if 120 is the correct answer by double-checking your calculation and making sure all the data and variables used are accurate. You can also ask someone else to solve the problem or use a different method to verify the answer.

5. Is 120 always the correct answer?

No, 120 is not always the correct answer. It depends on the given problem and the accuracy of the data and variables used in the calculation. It is possible to have a different answer, but 120 is the most common or expected answer in most cases.

Back