By how much does your force change the kinetic energy

In summary: Great! It is best not to make people guess what you want - and phrasing questions is an important part of the scientific method which you are learning.
emily081715

Homework Statement

You push a blob of gelatin with a constant force of 2.4 F across a wet table on which it slides easily. Because the blob shape distorts, its center of mass moves only 33 mm during the time interval in which the point of application of your force moves 53 mm .
By how much does your force change the kinetic energy of the center of mass?
What is the work done by you on the blob?= 0.127 J

Homework Equations

w=ΔK
ΔK=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

w= 0.127 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here?
Does the sheer modulus have anything to do with this?
Can you describe where the work-energy goes?

By how much does your force change the kinetic energy of the center of mass?
this is the question

That was their question, not yours.
That is the problem you have to solve - you just posted a bunch of stuff and left it to us to guess what you wanted. What was your question? Not theirs, yours.
Please answer my other questions.

Simon Bridge said:
That is the problem you have to solve - you just posted a bunch of stuff and left it to us to guess what you wanted. What was your question? Not theirs, yours.
Please answer my other questions.
my question is that i am lost and frusterated with this question and that i need help walking through it to figure out the answer

Great! It is best not to make people guess what you want - and phrasing questions is an important part of the scientific method which you are learning.
Can you answer the other two questions in post #2?

i've never learned sheer modulus so i don't know. isn't the work going into the geletin

Work = force times distance of mass center.
The work is equal to the change in kinetic energy (unless the object starts to rotate or something like that).

Related to By how much does your force change the kinetic energy

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How does force affect an object's kinetic energy?

According to the work-energy theorem, the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Therefore, an increase in force will result in an increase in the object's kinetic energy, while a decrease in force will result in a decrease in kinetic energy.

3. Is there a direct relationship between force and kinetic energy?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between force and kinetic energy. As the force acting on an object increases, the kinetic energy of the object also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can force be negative and still affect an object's kinetic energy?

Yes, force can be negative and still affect an object's kinetic energy. A negative force will result in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy, while a positive force will result in an increase in kinetic energy.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the change in kinetic energy besides force?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the change in kinetic energy, such as the mass of the object and the distance over which the force is applied. The angle and direction of the force can also affect the change in kinetic energy.