By photon's POV, would light travel infinity in no time?

In summary, according to photon's standpoint, it is meaningless to talk about its reference frame or point of view since it travels at the speed of light and does not experience time. It is not accurate to say that light travels any distance in 0 time, as in a vacuum it takes 299792459 meters to travel in one second. Many questions about photons and their behavior can be answered by doing a simple Google search, and it is important to understand the concept of relativity when discussing the perspective of a photon.
The original poster is just trying to understand the nature of time and space at very high speeds, so let's just re-phrase the question this way:

As a THOUGHT EXPERIMENT, if I have an infintesimal mass, and am traveling at the maximum speed an infintesimal mass can travel, how would I experience time and space?

Let's also remember that it's a THOUGHT EXPERIMENT, and not worry about whether an infintesimal mass can experience anything.

Then we can leave it to the poster to imagine what would happen at the limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
TucsonDean, you're resurrecting a thread that no one has posted on for over 2 years! (not to mention that the original poster has since been banned) If you're interested in this subject, better to either start a new thread, or post on a more recent thread related to this topic such as this one.

OK, thanks, didn't notice the date. I am a physicist and know the answers, was frankly mostly getting on folks for being so unhelpful to the original poster.

TucsonDean said:
OK, thanks, didn't notice the date. I am a physicist and know the answers, was frankly mostly getting on folks for being so unhelpful to the original poster.

May I ask the answers?

The quick answer is that time in the surrounding environment appears to slows down and the physical dimension of space in the direction of motion appears shortened. The faster one goes, the more profound the effect. At the speed of light, which an object with mass cannot attain, time would stop altogether and space in the direction of motion would shrink down to nothing.

TucsonDean said:
The quick answer is that time in the surrounding environment appears to slows down and the physical dimension of space in the direction of motion appears shortened. The faster one goes, the more profound the effect. At the speed of light, which an object with mass cannot attain, time would stop altogether and space in the direction of motion would shrink down to nothing.

This is logically inconsistent with the limit being attained.

Your focus is on logic as the limit is approached.

This has nothing to do with operating at the limit.

cfrogue said:
This is logically inconsistent with the limit being attained.

Your focus is on logic as the limit is approached.

This has nothing to do with operating at the limit.

He gave you the answer. Do you not like it?

The limit cannot be attained but we can come arbitrarily close to it. The universe will be arbitrarily close to zero in depth in the direction travelled; time will be arbitrarily close to stopped. Also, the radiation frequency impinging on it will be arbitrarily close to infinite.

DaveC426913 said:
He gave you the answer. Do you not like it?

The limit cannot be attained but we can come arbitrarily close to it. The universe will be arbitrarily close to zero in depth in the direction travelled; time will be arbitrarily close to stopped. Also, the radiation frequency impinging on it will be arbitrarily close to infinite.

My mistake. I thought light operated at this limit.
Is this false?

Perhaps you could also explain what happens at this limit.

I would like to know.

cfrogue said:
My mistake. I thought light operated at this limit.

Photons travel at c, yes.

The catch is that photons do not have a valid frame of reference. Time does not pass for a photon. It is nonsensical to ask what a photon experiences because a photon has no experience.

cfrogue said:
Perhaps you could also explain what happens at this limit.
The question has no answer; the question itself is malformed. The very word "happens" implies the passage of time, which does not exist at the speed of light.

DaveC426913 said:
Photons travel at c, yes.

The catch is that photons do not have a valid frame of reference. Time does not pass for a photon. It is nonsensical to ask what a photon experiences because a photon has no experience.

The question has no answer; the question itself is malformed. The very word "happens" implies the passage of time, which does not exist at the speed of light.

If you check now what I was asking the poster, you will see this is what I was implying and thus I do not understand your post to me that discussed the "limit" being approached.

cfrogue said:
If you check now what I was asking the poster, you will see this is what I was implying and thus I do not understand your post to me that discussed the "limit" being approached.

Ah. So you and I agree?

So you were challenging TucsonDream about what would happen at the limit, because you knew he couldn't provide a sensical answer?

I think I see that now.

Could the initial question not be easily answered by representing the Lorentz transformation as two different grids on the (x,t) plane. I think that the v=c limit would clearly appear as degenerate: there is no good frame of reference by squeezing the coordinates up to the speed of light.

DaveC426913 said:
Ah. So you and I agree?

So you were challenging TucsonDream about what would happen at the limit, because you knew he couldn't provide a sensical answer?

I think I see that now.

Yes, you and I agree and your assessment is correct.

lalbatros said:
Could the initial question not be easily answered by representing the Lorentz transformation as two different grids on the (x,t) plane. I think that the v=c limit would clearly appear as degenerate: there is no good frame of reference by squeezing the coordinates up to the speed of light.
I think the point is that, anyone who can understand Lorentz transforms already understands relativistic effects.

If they don't understand relativity, telling them about Lorentz transforms is not going to help them much...