C++ Chemistry Library: Find the Solution

In summary, you are looking for a library that can calculate a specific reaction, but it is hard to do so and there are no libraries that can do this currently.
gedaiu
Hi,

Does anybody know about some C++ class which can calculate chemistry formulas?

I mean if i have two variables A and B which are some substances then the variable C = A + B, C will be the result of the two substances. I need a class like this for a personal project and i didn't found anything on the internet. I found on sourceforge.net a similar project but is in written java.

I am a programmer and i have only basic knowledge about chemistry and also this is my first post here...

Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
Basically you are asking whether there exists a C++ class that combines everything chemists have been working on for the last several hundred years.

Answer is: no.

why?

It's a hard algorithm to make this? As i remember from the school the anorganic has a simple algorithm.

Perhaps I don't what you are asking about then. Give examples af A & B.

You may also read about chemical reaction databases to get what the problem is about.

Try canetra or chemkin?

hi,

I searched something about canetra and chemkin but it's seems those are stand-alone programs. I need a library for C++(programming language) which is capable to calculate reactions(any reactions).

Today I had a conversation with a friend, she is a chemist. She told me that it is a little bit hard to calculate how two substances react because there are exceptions and every day people find new reactions.

I need this library to make a project based on some http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm" . Maybe i am to elated about it. I thought there are some algorithms for this because if you need a library for phisics or advanced math you can find a lot of them. It seems chemists are not good friends with programmers :P

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
gedaiu said:
It seems chemists are not good friends with programmers

Really? How come you have a chemist friend?

All it means is thar chemical reality is pretty complicated. Even advanced physical libraries are not about all physics - they deal with some small, well defined subsets of physics. In chemistry even defining small subsets is often difficult.

gedaiu said:
hi,

I searched something about canetra and chemkin but it's seems those are stand-alone programs. I need a library for C++(programming language) which is capable to calculate reactions(any reactions).

Today I had a conversation with a friend, she is a chemist. She told me that it is a little bit hard to calculate how two substances react because there are exceptions and every day people find new reactions.

I need this library to make a project based on some http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm" . Maybe i am to elated about it. I thought there are some algorithms for this because if you need a library for phisics or advanced math you can find a lot of them. It seems chemists are not good friends with programmers :P

Thank you

Turns out I am a chemist who is also a programmer, AND I happen to be familiar with C++. In general, what you have been told by others on this thread is correct ... you cannot write a general set of rules to predict ALL possible chemical reactions under all conditions, which is what you seem to be asking for.

However, all may not be lost. Can you describe a little more about the specific application you are trying to develop, perhaps in pseudocode? I might be able to help you define at least a test set of rules and classes to use for a particular subset of reactions. If that works, you might decide it is worth extending to other systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your help. It's all clear for me now. I decided to use a list of predefined reactions and implement a group(algebraic structure) with it or something like this.

@SpectraCat if you are interested about the project i can give you details on PM

you need to realize that at the current point in time, even analyzing a single chemical reaction can require several months of straight work by an experienced computational chemistry expert, and several thousand hours of CPU time, using different programs packages with several million lines of code each.

What you are asking for is, in general, not possible currently and will likely not be possible in the forseeable future (unless I'm seriously misunderstanding what you are trying to do. You're making it easy to get misunderstood.)

Related to C++ Chemistry Library: Find the Solution

1. What is a C++ Chemistry Library?

A C++ Chemistry Library is a collection of pre-written code that allows users to perform chemical calculations and simulations using the programming language C++. It can include functions for tasks such as molecular structure manipulation, thermodynamic calculations, and chemical reaction simulations.

2. What is the purpose of a C++ Chemistry Library?

The purpose of a C++ Chemistry Library is to provide researchers, students, and professionals with a convenient and efficient way to perform chemical calculations and simulations. It allows for more complex and accurate calculations to be performed compared to manual methods, and can save time and effort in data analysis and experimentation.

3. How is a C++ Chemistry Library different from other programming libraries?

A C++ Chemistry Library is specifically designed for chemical calculations and simulations, whereas other programming libraries may have a broader range of functions and applications. The code in a C++ Chemistry Library is also optimized for chemistry-related tasks, making it more efficient and accurate for these specific calculations.

4. What are some common features of a C++ Chemistry Library?

Some common features of a C++ Chemistry Library include functions for molecular structure manipulation, thermodynamic calculations, chemical reaction simulations, and data analysis tools. It may also include a user-friendly interface for inputting data and visualizing results.

5. How can I use a C++ Chemistry Library in my research or studies?

To use a C++ Chemistry Library, you can include the library in your C++ project and use the provided functions to perform your desired calculations or simulations. You can also refer to the library's documentation for guidance on how to use specific functions and utilize the library's features. It is important to properly cite the library in your research or studies.