C++ programming on prime numbers

In summary: You can also stop your loop as soon as you find a divisor, instead of continuing to try all of them.The algorithm you use is a very naive one. There are many better ones, but even the most naive one can be coded to be much faster than you do.In summary, the program is using a naive algorithm to determine if a number is prime or not. It checks for divisors up to half of the number, but this can be improved by only checking up to the square root of the number. Additionally, there are faster algorithms that could be used.
smart_worker
this is the program which i wrote:

#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
void prime(int p)
{
if(p==0||p==1)
{
cout<<"neither prime nor composite"<<endl;
getch();
exit(1);
}
for(int i=2;i<p/2;i++)
{
if(p%i==0)
{
cout<<"composite"<<endl;
break;
}
else
cout<<"prime"<<endl;
}
}
void main()
{
int n;
clrscr();
cout<<"enter a number:"<<endl;
cin>>n;
prime(n);
getch();
}

it is not working for some numbers like 9,5,2,etc..

if i input 9
output is :

composite
prime

if i input 5
nothing is displayed

i debugged and no errors came
what exactly is wrong with this code?

Technology news on Phys.org
That output looks right for that code. Let's look at your two cases to see what the program actually does.

If p=9, p/2=4 (remember integer division). Due to the test in the for loop, you will test the values i=2 and i=3. In the case of i=2, 9%2=1 and it prints prime no matter what the later tests will give. For i=3, 9%3=0 and it prints composite. You probably don't want to print prime until you've verified that no numbers covered in the loop are factors of p.

If p=5, p/2=2. This means that the for loop won't run at all, since 2 isn't less than 2. You probably do want to run the loop at least once.

Hypersphere said:
That output looks right for that code. Let's look at your two cases to see what the program actually does.

#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
void prime(int p)
{
int count=1;
if(p==0||p==1)
{
getch();
exit(1);
}
for(int i=2;i<=p/2;i++)
{
if(p%i==0)
count++;
}
if(count>=2)
cout<<"not a PRIME NUMBER"<<endl;
else
cout<<"PRIME NUMBER"<<endl;
}
void main()
{
int n;
clrscr();
cin>>n;
prime(n);
getch();
}

now is it correct?
o:)

Use [noparse]
Code:
[/noparse] tags:

Code:
#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>

void prime(int p)
{
   int count=1;

if(p==0||p==1)
   {
      getch();
      exit(1);
   }
   for(int i=2;i<=p/2;i++)
   {
      if (p%i==0)
         count++;
   }
   if(count>=2)
      cout<<"not a PRIME NUMBER"<<endl;
   else
      cout<<"PRIME NUMBER"<<endl;
}

void main()
{
   int n;

clrscr();
   cin>>n;
   prime(n);
   getch();
}

For the code readability, correct formatting is paramount.

smart_worker said:
now is it correct?o:)
Strictly speaking, it's not correct. All it takes is one number to divide p with zero remainder and p is not prime. Your program will happen to have at least two divisors, but that's because your loop go to and including p/2. There's no reason to do that. Once you find one such divisor you know the number cannot be prime. Exit the loop immediately. There's no reason to go all the way to p/2. You only need to go up to and including sqrt(p). While the difference between p/2 and sqrt(p) is small for small numbers, it's not small at all for bit numbers. For example, a limit of p/2 means checking 500,000,000,019 numbers in the case p=1,000,000,000,039. A limit of sqrt(p) means you only need to check 1,000,000 numbers to see that 1,000,000,000,039 is indeed a prime. (And you can reduce this by a factor of two if you check 2 and then only check odd numbers).

D H said:
Strictly speaking, it's not correct. All it takes is one number to divide p with zero remainder and p is not prime. Your program will happen to have at least two divisors, but that's because your loop go to and including p/2. There's no reason to do that. Once you find one such divisor you know the number cannot be prime. Exit the loop immediately. There's no reason to go all the way to p/2. You only need to go up to and including sqrt(p). While the difference between p/2 and sqrt(p) is small for small numbers, it's not small at all for bit numbers. For example, a limit of p/2 means checking 500,000,000,019 numbers in the case p=1,000,000,000,039. A limit of sqrt(p) means you only need to check 1,000,000 numbers to see that 1,000,000,000,039 is indeed a prime. (And you can reduce this by a factor of two if you check 2 and then only check odd numbers).

anyways for small numbers<100 i am getting correct results

and for bit numbers as you said for 1,000,000,000,039 i have to use longint instead of int

The same argument applies to 2147483647 (which does fit within an int). Try this number. Your program takes an inordinate amount of time to say that this is a prime number. That is not acceptable. Ending your loop at 46340 rather than 1073741823 (in this case) would make your program 23,000 times faster.

BTW, you need to get a better compiler. Given your include files and your arcane use of void main, I suspect you are using Turbo C++. You should get a compiler that was written in this millennium. There are plenty of free compilers around. There is *no* reason to use Turbo C++ anymore.

Last edited:
D H said:

it is a prime number

if my program is too slow i can make use of INLINE function.

smart_worker said:
if my program is too slow i can make use of INLINE function.

It won't change much.

The fastest operation is the one never performed. D H told you how to implement it in your case, but apparently your prefer to not listen to the good advice.

Related to C++ programming on prime numbers

1. What is C++ programming on prime numbers?

C++ programming on prime numbers is the process of using the C++ programming language to write code that can identify and manipulate prime numbers. A prime number is a whole number that is only divisible by itself and 1.

2. How can I check if a number is prime using C++?

In C++, you can use a for loop to check if a number is divisible by any number between 2 and the number itself. If the number is only divisible by 1 and itself, it is a prime number. You can also use the sqrt() function to improve the efficiency of the code.

3. Can I generate a list of prime numbers using C++?

Yes, you can use C++ code to generate a list of prime numbers. You can use a while loop to check if each number is prime and then add it to a list if it is. Alternatively, you can use the sieve of Eratosthenes algorithm to generate a list of prime numbers.

4. How can I optimize my C++ code for prime number operations?

One way to optimize your C++ code for prime number operations is to use efficient algorithms such as the sieve of Eratosthenes or Miller-Rabin primality test. You can also use data structures like bitset to store and manipulate large numbers efficiently.

5. Are there any libraries or packages in C++ specifically for prime number operations?

Yes, there are several libraries and packages in C++ that are specifically designed for prime number operations. Some popular ones include NTL, GMP, and Boost Multiprecision. These libraries provide efficient functions for generating, checking, and manipulating prime numbers.