C-vitamin titration (Equivalence Point)

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving titration with potassium iodate and the addition of different substances such as juice and vitamin C to determine the equivalence point. However, the data for the experiment has been lost and there is no way to accurately determine the equivalence point. The suggestion is to mention the lost data in the report and make up numbers for the calculations as a show of good will.
don1231915

Homework Statement

OK, so I did this experiment a week ago,
I took 75g of juice and added some 1.5gKI, 7.5cm^3HCl and 5cm^3starch and titrated with Potassium Iodate 0.010M(KIO3). I did this titration again
For the third experiment, I just took 0.1g pure C-vitamin dissolved in some water instead of juice and everything the same.
But, unfortunately, I have lost my data and there is no possiblity that I can gain information from anywhere on the equivalent points of these 3 trials.

If you could just give me an idea at what volume the color would be dark blue (shud it be dark blue or pink?)
Just an idea in what range maybe?

e.g. 24cm^3 or something like that
The only thing I remember was that there wasn't a lot of difference between the eq. point in the first and the second trial...

P.S.
The reaction that takes place is:
IO3 + 5I + 6H ---- 3I2 + 3H2O
AND

I2 + c vitamin --- 2I + 'products'PLEASE HELP

REPORT DUE TOMORROW

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way anyone can help you. Volume of titrant depends on the sample composition, which is unknown. You may roll the dice as well.

Best approach I can think off is to write your report stating at the very beginning you have lost your data, so you made up some numbers and you did all the calculations using them. This way you at least show good will.

Related to C-vitamin titration (Equivalence Point)

1. What is the purpose of C-vitamin titration?

The purpose of C-vitamin titration is to determine the concentration of vitamin C in a solution. This is done by reacting the solution with a known amount of a reagent (often iodine) and measuring the amount of reagent that is required to reach the equivalence point, where all of the vitamin C has been reacted.

2. How is the equivalence point determined in C-vitamin titration?

The equivalence point is determined by using an indicator, such as starch, which changes color when all of the vitamin C has been consumed. This color change indicates the endpoint of the titration and allows for the determination of the equivalence point.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of C-vitamin titration?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of C-vitamin titration, including the quality and concentration of the reagents used, the accuracy of measurements, and environmental factors such as temperature and pH. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate results.

4. How is the concentration of vitamin C calculated from C-vitamin titration data?

The concentration of vitamin C can be calculated using the volume of reagent used at the equivalence point and the known concentration of the reagent. This calculation is based on the stoichiometry of the reaction between vitamin C and the reagent.

5. What are some applications of C-vitamin titration in research and industry?

C-vitamin titration is commonly used in research to determine the vitamin C content of various foods and supplements. It is also used in industry to ensure the accuracy and consistency of vitamin C levels in products such as juices, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.