Cable Tension Calculation Confirmation

In summary, a system of cables is used to support a crate of mass 49 kg at an angle of 57°. The tensions in the three cables can be found using T2=mg, T3sinθ=T2, and T1=T3cosθ. After calculations, the tensions are: T1 = 300.06N, T2 = 480.20N, and T3 = 566.24N. However, there may be an error in the calculation of T1 and T3, as the online assignment is not accepting the input for T1. It is recommended to redo the calculation for T1 and T3 for confirmation.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

A system of cables is used to support a crate of mass m = 49 kg as shown in the figure below (θ = 57°). Find the tensions in all three cables.

question 4.JPG

Homework Equations

T2=mg

T3sinθ=T2

T1=T3cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated everything to be:

T1 = 300.06N
T2 = 480.20N
T3 = 566.24N

I believe my answer is correct, however, everytime I input T1 into the online assignment, the answer is wrong. I am wondering if anyone can confirm my answers.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
T2 looks good, but T3 is a bit off and T1 even more so. Redo your calculation of T3 and T1.

Related to Cable Tension Calculation Confirmation

1. What is cable tension and why is it important in physics?

Cable tension refers to the amount of force exerted on a cable or rope, usually in a direction that pulls the cable taut. In physics, cable tension is important because it affects the stability and strength of structures such as bridges and suspension systems.

2. How is cable tension calculated?

Cable tension is calculated using the formula T = (F * L) / 2, where T is the tension, F is the force acting on the cable, and L is the length of the cable. This formula is based on the principle of equilibrium, where the sum of all forces on a stationary object is equal to zero.

3. What factors affect cable tension?

The factors that affect cable tension include the weight and load on the cable, the angle at which the cable is pulled, the material and thickness of the cable, and the support structure that the cable is attached to. Changes in any of these factors can alter the tension in the cable.

4. How does cable tension impact the safety of structures?

Cable tension is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of structures such as bridges and suspension systems. If the tension in a cable is too low, it can cause the structure to collapse or become unstable. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it can cause the cable to snap or damage the supporting structure.

5. Can cable tension be adjusted?

Yes, cable tension can be adjusted by altering the force acting on the cable or by changing the length of the cable. In some cases, additional support structures or reinforcements may also be added to adjust the tension. However, it is important to carefully calculate and monitor cable tension to ensure the safety and stability of structures.