Calc 2 series question: prove the inequality

In summary: I hope this helps!In summary, using the Maclaurin series for cosx and the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem, it is possible to prove the inequality \frac{1}{2} - \frac{x^2}{24} < \frac{1-cosx}{x^2} < \frac{1}{2} by using the first three terms of the series to approximate the function and using the remainder to determine whether the approximation is an overestimate or underestimate of cosx. This allows for the creation of an inequality that can be solved for (1-cosx)/(x^2).
brushman

Homework Statement

Use the Maclaurin series for cosx and the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem to show that

[tex] \frac{1}{2} - \frac{x^2}{24} < \frac{1-cosx}{x^2} < \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]

cosx = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^4}{4} - \cdot \cdot \cdot = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^{2n}(-1)^{n}}{(2n)!}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem I know the error is less then the next term:

[tex]
|error| < \frac{x^{2n+2}}{(2n + 2)!}
[/tex]

But I don't know how to use this to prove the inequality.

EDIT: Thanks, I figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Prove first that

[tex]1-\frac{x^2}{2}<\cos(x)<1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^4}{24}[/tex]

Look at the two functions:
[tex]
f(x):=\frac{1-cosx}{x^2}-\frac{1}{2}\quad g(x)=\frac{1-cosx}{x^2}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{x^{2}}{24}
[/tex]
Look for when the functions f and g have a maximum/ minimum.

hunt_mat said:
Look at the two functions:
[tex]
f(x):=\frac{1-cosx}{x^2}-\frac{1}{2}\quad g(x)=\frac{1-cosx}{x^2}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{x^{2}}{24}
[/tex]
Look for when the functions f and g have a maximum/ minimum.

Yes, but that doesn't use MacLaurin series does it?

well, you can use the maclaurin series of the function and take the derivative of it as if it was the actual function, no?

No it doesn't. All I saw was prove the following inequality :)

brushman said:

Homework Statement

Use the Maclaurin series for cosx and the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem to show that

[tex] \frac{1}{2} - \frac{x^2}{24} < \frac{1-cosx}{x^2} < \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]

cosx = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^4}{4} - \cdot \cdot \cdot = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^{2n}(-1)^{n}}{(2n)!}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem I know the error is less then the next term:

[tex]
|error| < \frac{x^{2n+2}}{(2n + 2)!}
[/tex]

But I don't know how to use this to prove the inequality.

EDIT: Thanks, I figured it out.

I'm having trouble figuring this one out. Brushman, you said you've figured it out - can you help me out?

The way I understood it is this:

The first three terms of the series for cosx give us an approximation of the function. We can find this approximation, and the remainder, using the alternating series estimation theorem.

Based on the sign of the remainder, we know whether our approximation was an overestimate, or underestimate of cosx.

If it was an overestimate (the remainder is negative) then we know that our estimation is greater then cosx. For an understimate, we have a positive remainder so are estimation is less then cosx.

This allows us to set up an inequality, the one you see in micromass's post, for which we can then solve for (1-cosx)/(x^2).

FAQ: Calc 2 series question: prove the inequality

1. What is a series?

A series is a mathematical concept that refers to the sum of a sequence of numbers. In other words, it is the result of adding together all the terms in a sequence.

2. What is "Calc 2"?

"Calc 2" refers to Calculus II, which is a college-level course that builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus I. It typically covers topics such as integration techniques, applications of integration, and infinite series.

3. What does it mean to prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality means to show that one side of the equation is always greater than (or less than) the other side. This can be done using mathematical reasoning and logical steps.

4. How do you prove an inequality involving a series?

To prove an inequality involving a series, you typically have to use mathematical induction or some other proof technique. This involves showing that the inequality holds for the initial terms of the series, and then using a mathematical argument to show that it holds for all subsequent terms.

5. Why is proving an inequality important?

Proving an inequality is important because it allows us to determine the truth or validity of a statement. In the context of series, proving an inequality can help us understand the behavior and convergence of a given series, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.