Calc 3 Vector Problem: Finding A and B with Given Coordinates and Midpoint

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coordinates of points A and B on a line segment, given the midpoint coordinates and the vector connecting the two points. The correct solution involves setting up and solving equations using the midpoint formula and the vector formula. The resulting coordinates for points A and B are (3,-2) and (1,4) respectively.
Allenman
I mostly just want to know if I did this correctly... And if not, where I went wrong.

Homework Statement

Of [itex]\overline{U}[/itex]=(-2, 6) is the vector [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] and the midpoint of the line segment from A to B has the coordinates (2,1). Find A and B.
Let
[itex]\overline{A}[/itex]=(a1, a2)
[itex]\overline{B}[/itex]=(b1, b2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\overline{AB}[/itex]=(a1, b1) + t(b1-a1, b2-a2)

rearranging I got:
[itex]\overline{AB}[/itex]=(1-t)(a1, b1) + t(a2, b2)

So when t=0 I have the coordinates (a1 and b1)
and when t=1 I have the coordinates (a2 and b2)

So plugging the numbers:
[itex]\overline{AB}[/itex]=(-2,6) + t(-2 - 2, 6 - 1)
=(1-t)(-2, 6) + t(2, 1)
[itex]\overline{A}[/itex]=(-2, 2)
[itex]\overline{B}[/itex]=(6, 1)

Did I do it right? or am I way off?... lol

Physics news on Phys.org
allen,

i think something is wrong. if t=0 , you should get point A, the coordinate
[itex](a_1,b_1)[/itex] is not point A.

I will do this as following. let O be the origin. and let the coordinates of A and B be
(a1,a2) , (b1,b2). let the M be midpoint of
the segment AB , then

[tex]\vec{AB}=\vec{OB}-\vec{OA}=(b_1,b_2)-(a_1,a_2)=(b_1-a_1,b_2-a_2)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{AM}=\vec{OM}-\vec{OA}=(2,1)-(a_1,a_2)=(2-a_1,1-a_2)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{MB}=\vec{OB}-\vec{OM}=(b_1,b_2)-(2,1)=(b_1-2,b_2-1)[/tex]

now realize that vectors AM and MB are the same since they have same magnitude and direction.

[tex]\vec{AM}=\vec{MB}[/tex]

so you get 4 equations and 4 unknowns . solve it. I got

[tex]A=(3,-2) \; , B=(1,4)[/tex]

just to confirm the answer, use midpoint formula for A and B and you get back the coordinate of point M.

Thank you very much! You're awesome! :)

FAQ: Calc 3 Vector Problem: Finding A and B with Given Coordinates and Midpoint

What is Calc 3 and why is it important?

Calc 3, short for Calculus 3, is a branch of mathematics that deals with multivariable and vector calculus. It is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the physical world, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics.

What are vectors and how are they used in Calc 3?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In Calc 3, they are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. They are also used in multivariable calculus to calculate rates of change in multiple dimensions.

What is a vector field and what is its significance in Calc 3?

A vector field is a function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. In Calc 3, vector fields are used to study the behavior of vector quantities, such as velocity and force, in a given region. They are also important in understanding the concept of flux, which is used in physics and engineering.

What are the common techniques for solving vector problems in Calc 3?

Some common techniques for solving vector problems in Calc 3 include using dot and cross products, finding the gradient of a scalar function, and using the divergence and curl operators. These techniques are used to calculate vector quantities, find critical points, and determine the behavior of vector fields.

How can I improve my understanding and problem-solving skills in Calc 3?

To improve your understanding and problem-solving skills in Calc 3, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the various techniques and concepts involved. You can also seek help from professors, tutors, or online resources to clarify any doubts or difficulties you may have.