Calc Eclipse Any Loc: What Softwares Do?

In summary: I don't think that would be a problem.In summary, the ancient people would use the Saros cycle to compute eclipses. They would have to know the dates of the eclipses and approximate location. To get predictions for modern-day eclipses, you will need a computer.
Prasanna Suman
How can I calculate eclipse (any), for any location on earth? Not using any software, because I know that. But I want to know what these softwares do?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The ancient people would use the Saros cycle to compute eclipses. Google for that. I don't know how accurate the ancients were. I'm guessing that they knew what dates the eclipses would occur on, and approximately what part of the world. But to get modern-day predictions (i.e. Shanghi will be 122 km north of centerline, and will receive 5:18 seconds of totality beginning at 11:42 AM), you'll need a computer.

I wrote an eclipse-predictor program for DOS using algorithms from a book. It was quite accurate. It would agree with the official predictions within minutes and a few kilometers. I didn't understand the math I borrowed. The code was thousands of lines long.

Thanks tony873004,
I read about Saros cycle and other ancient method used by Hindus. I actually wanted to know the modern method which the softwares use. Can I get a suggestion of a web page? Google's results were a bit flat. :(

This book will give you the math in computer code (BASIC). I can't find my copy at the moment, but the documentation is minimal. He gives a brief explanation as to what he's doing, but for the most part, the code is not documented. So you just have to trust that his math works (and it does!)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/052138995X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thinking about it, you probably can do it without a computer, but I expect it is lengthy. Even before the 20th century, people traveled to see eclipses and transits, so the methods had to be pretty good.

Thanks tony873004,
That's great, because I know is BASIC. Can I get the source code of your file, if I am not troubling you too much.
Thanks again.

It's on my old, old computer, (pre-Windows). I'll see if I can still boot it up.

Thanks

FAQ: Calc Eclipse Any Loc: What Softwares Do?

What is "Calc Eclipse Any Loc" and what does it do?

Calc Eclipse Any Loc is a software used for calculating eclipse events, such as solar and lunar eclipses, at any location on Earth. It takes into account various factors such as location, date, and time to accurately predict eclipse occurrences.

What are the system requirements for Calc Eclipse Any Loc?

The specific system requirements may vary depending on the version of the software, but generally, Calc Eclipse Any Loc requires a computer with at least 2GB of RAM and a modern operating system such as Windows, MacOS, or Linux.

Is Calc Eclipse Any Loc free to use?

Yes, Calc Eclipse Any Loc is a free and open-source software, meaning it can be downloaded and used without any cost. It is also regularly updated by a community of developers, so users can expect improvements and bug fixes over time.

Can Calc Eclipse Any Loc predict future eclipses?

Yes, Calc Eclipse Any Loc has the ability to predict future eclipse events based on the user's input of location, date, and time. It can also provide information on past eclipses, making it a useful tool for studying eclipse patterns and occurrences.

Are there any alternatives to Calc Eclipse Any Loc for calculating eclipse events?

Yes, there are several other software programs and online tools available for calculating eclipse events, such as NASA's Eclipse Web Site and Eclipse Megamovie. However, Calc Eclipse Any Loc is a popular and reliable option that offers customizable features and accurate predictions.