Calc-Force Problem: Work Done Stretching Spring 6 Inches

• Thread starter J.live
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done in stretching a spring an additional 6 inches from its already extended length of 43 inches. The spring constant is calculated as k = 7/3 and the limits of integration are from 3 to 9 inches.
J.live

Homework Statement

A Force of 7 pounds is required to stretch a 40 inch spring to a length of 43 inches. How much work will be done in stretching the spring an additional 6 inches from its already extended length of 43 inches?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to integrate , just having problems with taking limits.Will I take the limit from 3 to 9 inches or is it 43 to 49 inches? Will be great if someone can clear it out by explaining why. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
On second thought (this is edited), I will assume you understand how to find the spring constant [tex]k[/tex] and just were confused about the limits, which I should have done in the first place since that is what you asked.

Can you clarify how you are setting up your expression for calculating the work done? The limits of integration have all to do on just how you *choose* to write the spring force equation, nothing else.

Yes i Have calculated the spring constant which is

F(x)= k*x

F(9) = 7k

k= 9/7

Where I get stuck is taking limits for k.

nobody? :/

In the spring constant equation F(x)=k*x, x is the difference between the stretched length of the spring and the unstretched length of the spring. Try and compute k again. You know F(3)=7.

So..

K= 7/3. Then I take limit from 3 to 9 inches?

J.live said:
So..

K= 7/3. Then I take limit from 3 to 9 inches?

Yes.

Thank you.

Related to Calc-Force Problem: Work Done Stretching Spring 6 Inches

What is the Calc-Force Problem?

The Calc-Force Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the work done to stretch a spring by 6 inches.

What is work?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

How is work calculated in the Calc-Force Problem?

In the Calc-Force Problem, work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched (6 inches).

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per distance (such as N/m or lbs/in).

How is the spring constant used in the Calc-Force Problem?

In the Calc-Force Problem, the spring constant is used to calculate the force applied to the spring by using the formula F = kx, where F is force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched.