CALC III Line Integral Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the solution for a contour integral where the domain is represented by three separate pieces, C1, C2, and C3. Each piece is parameterized in terms of x and y, and the integral is then solved by breaking it down into smaller integrals for each piece and adding them together.
SolitaryRaf

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3995/calc3.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Im here asking for some help in direction on how to do these problems so that I can find the solution by myself... I would really really appreciate any help anyone could provide ...

I am not sure how to represent the domain as a function, and if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'm sure I could get the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, break the contour up into three pieces, C1, C2, and C3, where C1 is the line segment from the origin to (1,0), C2 is the circular arc, and C3 is the line segment from (1,1) back to the origin.

For each segment of the path, parameterize x and y. For example, for C3, you could write x(t)=1-t and y(t)=1-t where t goes from 0 to 1. Then dx=-dt and dy=-dt. Now write everything in terms of t.

[tex]\int_{C_3} (\sin x-6x^2y)dx+(3xy^2-x^3)dy = \int_0^1 [\sin (1-t) - 6(1-t)^2(1-t)](-dt) + [3(1-t)(1-t)^2 - (1-t)^3](-dt)[/tex]

The righthand side is just a run-of-the-mill integral of one variable that you can crank out.

Do this for each segment and add the results together to get your final answer.

Related to CALC III Line Integral Problem

1. What is a line integral in CALC III?

A line integral in CALC III is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a scalar or vector function along a specified curve in three-dimensional space. It is used to find the total value of a quantity along a specific path in a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve a line integral problem in CALC III?

To solve a line integral problem in CALC III, you first need to parameterize the curve using a set of equations. Then, you need to find the derivative of the parameterization and plug it into the integral formula. Lastly, evaluate the integral to find the final answer.

3. What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating work done by a force along a certain path, finding the mass of a thin wire or rope, determining the amount of fluid flowing through a curved pipe, and calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop.

4. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

The main difference between a line integral and a surface integral is that a line integral is calculated along a curve in three-dimensional space, while a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space. Additionally, line integrals involve one-dimensional integrals, while surface integrals involve two-dimensional integrals.

5. How can I check if my line integral solution is correct?

To check if your line integral solution is correct, you can use various techniques such as verifying that the solution satisfies the fundamental theorem of calculus, checking if the result makes sense in the context of the problem, and comparing your solution to known solutions or using technology to graph and visualize the problem.