Calc III Optimization problem (for dumpsters)

In summary, the project involves studying the shape and construction of a trash dumpster and determining the dimensions of a container with the same volume that minimizes construction costs. The assumptions for the analysis include the cost of materials, welding, and lids. The approach used is to simplify the design to a square shape and use the area equation to find the volume. The cost function is then determined by factoring in the costs of materials, welding, and lids. The next step would be to take the derivative of the cost function to find local minima or maxima. The potential impact of assumptions and simplifications on the actual result is also discussed. If hired as a consultant, it may be recommended to alter the design of the dumpster to achieve cost savings
Leinad7

Homework Statement

"For this project we locate a trash dumpster in order to study its shape and constuction. We then attempt to determine the dimensions of a container of similar design that minimize construction cost."

1. (Already located, measured, and descibed a dumpster found).

2. "While maintaing the general shape and method of constuction, determine the dimensions such a container of the same volume should have in order to minimize the cost of construction. Use the following assumptions in your analysis:

* The sides, back, and front are to be made from 12-gauge (0.1046 inch thick) steel sheets, which cost $0.70 per square foot (including any required cuts or bends).

* The base is to be made from a 10-gauge (0.1345 inch thick) steel sheet, which costs $0.90 per square foot.

* Lids cost approximately $50.00 each, regardless of dimensions.

* Welding costs approximately $0.18 per square foot for material and labor combined.

- Give justification of any further assumptions or simplifications made of the details of construction.

3. Describe how any of your assumptions or simplifications may affect the actual result.

4. If you were hired as a constultant on this investigation, what would your conclusion be? Would you recommend altering the design of the dumpster? If so, describe the savings that would result."

Homework Equations

For this problem, going to choose a simple design of a dumpers, square. So we're going to have for the area equation v = base x height x width.

I'm not sure how I bring in the constraints due to costs into this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

base=b, width=w, height=h. Therefore v=bwh. I think from this point I have to find the critical points, solving for them but not even sure how. I appreciate any advice on how to begin, or solved, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for not adding my work. Here it is so far:

V = b*w*h. Solving for h, h=v*(y*x)^-1

For my cost function c=.9*x*y+.7*2*x*v*(y*x)^-1+.7*2*y*v*(y*x)^-1+50
Simplifyed a bit more here,
c=.9*x*y+1.4v*y^-1+1.4v*x^-1+50
There's a problem with this, I have no included the welding costs associated with this, how might I add this in? Further more, once the welding cost is added, I take the derivative of the cost function to find local mins or maxs right? That seems to be the main problem at hand. I'm not sure how to deal with the x, and y unless I'm supposed to take partials derivatives and go from there.

You have to weld the edges where the faces meet. The cost of welding is $0.18 times the length of the edges. You don't, of course, weld the lid onto the frame!

Ah yes. You'd have to add those up. So in addition to the already existing cost function add the welding. Now do I take partials and find criticals?

Related to Calc III Optimization problem (for dumpsters)

1. What is a "Calc III Optimization problem"?

A "Calc III Optimization problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to certain constraints. In the context of dumpsters, this could involve finding the size and shape of a dumpster that minimizes the cost of materials used in its construction.

2. What are dumpsters used for?

Dumpsters are large containers used for waste disposal. They are commonly found in construction sites, industrial areas, and residential neighborhoods.

3. How does Calculus III relate to optimization problems for dumpsters?

Calculus III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, deals with functions of multiple variables. Optimization problems for dumpsters often involve optimizing a function with multiple variables, such as the cost of materials, the volume of the dumpster, and the surface area of the dumpster.

4. What are some common constraints in optimization problems for dumpsters?

Some common constraints in optimization problems for dumpsters include the budget for materials, the available space for the dumpster, and the weight limit for the dumpster.

5. How can optimization problems for dumpsters benefit society?

By using optimization techniques to design and construct dumpsters, we can improve the efficiency and effectiveness of waste disposal, leading to a cleaner and more sustainable environment for society. Additionally, optimizing the cost and materials used in dumpster construction can also help reduce expenses for waste management companies and ultimately benefit the economy.