Calc III Problem Integrating Sq Rt's in Arc Length Formula

In summary, the conversation was about finding the length of a curve in polar coordinates, specifically the curve r=theta^2 with limits 0≤theta≤pi/2. The person was struggling with integrating sqrt(theta^4 + 4theta^2) and asked for help. The solution was to substitute t^2+4 = u and use integration by parts to get the final answer of (t^2+4)^3/2 /3 + c.
yUNeeC
Hey guys, I'm studying for a test in calc 3 tomorrow and have run into a problem. On the practice test we have a problem "Find the length of the curve: r=theta^2, 0≤theta≤pi/2"

I know the length of a curve in polar coordinates is int(sqrt(r^2 + (dr/dtheta)^2))dtheta...but when I get to where I have to integrate sqrt(theta^4 + 4theta^2) I become very stuck. What is the procedure for handling this square root integration?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

so you are trying to integrate:

[tex]\int\sqrt{t^4 + 4t^2} dt = \int t\sqrt{t^2 + 4}dt[/tex]

Substitute t^2+4 = u

=> dt = du/2t

t cancels out:
[tex]\int t\sqrt{t^2 + 4}dt = \frac{1}{2} \int \sqrt{u} du = \frac{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} + c[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \int\sqrt{t^4 + 4t^2} dt = \frac{(t^2+4)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} + c [/tex]

is this what you are asking for?

Last edited:
Wow I feel stupid. Haha thanks a bunch.

Related to Calc III Problem Integrating Sq Rt's in Arc Length Formula

1. What is the arc length formula for integrating square roots in Calc III?

The arc length formula for integrating square roots in Calc III is L = ∫ √(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where L represents the arc length, √ represents the square root, and (dy/dx) represents the derivative of the function.

2. How is the arc length formula derived?

The arc length formula is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the definition of a derivative. By considering a small segment of a curve and taking the limit as the number of segments approaches infinity, we can derive the formula for arc length.

3. What is the purpose of integrating square roots in the arc length formula?

The purpose of integrating square roots in the arc length formula is to find the length of a curved line. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the length of a river or the distance traveled by a car along a curved road.

4. Are there any limitations to using the arc length formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the arc length formula. It can only be used to find the length of smooth curves and cannot be applied to functions with sharp corners or discontinuities. Additionally, it may be difficult to evaluate the integral in some cases.

5. How can I apply the arc length formula in real-world scenarios?

The arc length formula can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the length of a rollercoaster track or the distance traveled by a plane during takeoff. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the length of curves in motion or the shape of a cable under tension.