Calc III. Vectors and the Geometry of Space

In summary, the conversation discusses using vectors to find the points of trisection of a line segment with endpoints (1,2) and (7,5). The student asks for help in creating a standard vector equation and determines that the points of trisection are at scalar multiples of the vector. The correct answer is (3,3) and (5,4).
perc_wiz11

Homework Statement

Use vectors to find the points of trisection of the line segment with endpoints (1,2) and (7,5).

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. i tried to create a standard vector equation but its a line segment not a vector.

please help when possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had two position vectors a and b, then how could you describe the line segment in terms of these vectors? Then what do you imagine the coordinates of position vectors at the trisection points will be?

answer question?

once i create a standard vector, can say that the points of trisection are at the scalar multiples of v? then translate them back to the line segment at its original position? so if the standard vector is <6,3> and take 1/3 v the points of trisection on that vector are (2,1) and (4,2). once i translate that, would the answer be (3,3) and (5,4) ?

perc_wiz11 said:
once i create a standard vector, can say that the points of trisection are at the scalar multiples of v?
Not without saying what v is!

then translate them back to the line segment at its original position? so if the standard vector is <6,3> and take 1/3 v the points of trisection on that vector are (2,1) and (4,2). once i translate that, would the answer be (3,3) and (5,4) ?
Is v the vector from (1, 2) to (7, 5)? If so, then what you are doing is correct and you have the right answer.

Related to Calc III. Vectors and the Geometry of Space

1. What is the difference between scalars and vectors?

Scalars are quantities that have only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. Vectors, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector. To find the magnitude, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

3. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted. When adding or subtracting vectors, you must consider both the magnitude and direction of the vectors. The result is a vector that represents the combined effect of the original vectors.

4. How do you find the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that represents the magnitude of one vector multiplied by the component of the other vector in the same direction. To find the dot product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add them together.

5. What is the cross product of two vectors and how is it calculated?

The cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It has a magnitude equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and a direction determined by the right-hand rule. To calculate the cross product, you take the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the components of the two vectors.